1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 7/14/16

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rick Carter, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Over the years, I have judged and conducted seminars across the country at state, regional, national, and world shows. During those events, I was often asked to provide private instructional lessons, but my schedule at WASCO did not allow the time.
    Recently, the WASCO Monroe, GA facility was closed and moved to McKenzie Taxidermy Supply in North Carolina.
    Now, I will be able to offer private taxidermy instruction specially tailored to fit a client’s precise needs. My greatest level of expertise is in deer, game heads, and mammals.
    My credentials include 30 years of experience, three National Taxidermist of the Year awards, two Bruchac awards for Best Whitetail Deer, four 1st Place Master’s Awards at the World Taxidermy Competition, multiple People’s Choice & Judges Choice Awards, as well as sculpting and product design awards. I have scored two perfect 100’s at National competitions. I was the “Back to Basics” writer for Breakthrough Magazine for 10 years and my work has been featured on the covers of every taxidermy trade magazine. I have spent many years studying animal anatomy and have used that knowledge to sculpt several muscular and skeletal models that have been widely used throughout the industry. My instructional methods are also featured in the #1 selling whitetail deer mounting video (DVD270), Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount: A to Z with Rick Carter.
    I am currently scheduling 3 to 5-day one-on-one instruction on a first come, first served basis. This training will be intense and will be conducted with only one student at a time. The student will have my undivided & uninterrupted attention for the duration of each course. The classes will be designed specifically to fit the student’s request. Open-mouth techniques (resin or acrylic), advanced casting & molding (RTV), finishing techniques, anatomy, skeletal mechanics…for any species of animal.
    These courses are for the taxidermist who wants to take their work to a higher level of quality and accuracy, even at the competition level.
    Pricing and accommodations will be structured to fit the student’s needs. If necessary, the course can even be conducted at the student’s own studio.
    Call or email me if you wish to schedule a class!

Rick Carter
    (706) 247-3681

[email protected]

www.cartertaxidermy.com

2. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes

What a great opportunity for ANYONE. One of the best deer taxidermists in the world willing to share with others. Salute to you Rick and good luck. 8)

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Good for you Rick, I am sure this venture will go extremely well for you. Best wishes my friend.

4. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

X2

Might be taking your course Rick when I get the time

5. shammy

shammy New Member

Good Deal, and a chance for everyone to improve.

6. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I really wish I cared to do mammals. what a great opportunity this would be

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm scheduled to go. I can't wait. Things have been soooo stressful lately, I'm looking forward to a break and after speaking with Rick I have to tell y'all that he is very accommodating. He is going to pick me up from the airport and drive me to and from my hotel each day. He also told me what to bring and things that are too big to bring he is buying for me so it will all be ready. Did I mention I'm excited?

8. Rick Carter

I'm glad you're excited. We will have some fun and learn a lot too.

9. boarhunter67

Well, I've spent 2 of 3 days with him and have already learned so much. There are areas I never even considered before. Rick definitely is a great teacher. He's even been picking me up from the hotel (and airport) and he and Nikki take me to dinner before dropping me off at the hotel. I can't go into all the areas he's covered because there are so many areas. I thought I was just going to mount a couple of animals and see what I was doing wrong or could be doing better, but so much more.

10. Rick Carter

Scott just left to return to Bakersfield, CA. We spent 3 intense days covering boar, bobcat, deer, earbutt anatomy, eye scuplture, and even threw in a little fish painting. Scott mounted a boar and a bobcat head. We forced the boar dry enough to do the finish work in 3 days. The cat will have to be finished once he returns home. I hope the airline doesn't destroy it! (Special thanks to Ryan Griffiths for the beautiful bobcat hide!)
    Here are some photos taken this week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Rick, glad to see that folks are responding to your classes already. He looks happy he did. Good luck from a friend.

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Aw Rick.....we need to talk. As in Midwest Regional Taxidermy Convention 2012

13. boarhunter67

Rick,
    I still can't believe how much I learned. I do have one problem: The whole time I was there, I kept thinking my mounts were okay, just not quite as good as what I would be producing after your instruction. When I looked at the finished mounts before packing them up (they arrived here fine) I knew they looked better and feel pretty confident that I can produce those results on my own now everytime. However, I was anxious to see how they compared to the mounts I had hat home that I still believed weren't too bad and in all honesty were better than most of the taxidermists in my town produce. When I got home I pulled out the boar and bobcat and put them next to some average mounts I had recently done. Now I want to through away my old mounts because they look like crap. I know they are still better than most of the mounts produced by other taxidermists in town, but now I can see that my level has come up so much that I will no longer be happy putting out mounts that look like well mounted animals instead of looking like live animals. The funny thing is it doesn't really take any longer to produce better quality and even saves time in some instances.
    To those who want to take their skills up a couple of notches, do yourself a favor and take some classes. Including hotel, meals, flight, 2 animals worth of mounting supplies, and 3 days of one-on-one intensive classes, it totaled about $2000. This is about 4-5 mounts for me and now I'll have these skills forever and they'll transfer to other animal species.
    While I was there he got a call from someone who had never mounted anything but was interested in lessons. Rick said he could teach him, but his money would be better spent on DVD's and practice and maybe taking a cheaper class from (a person he recommended). This showed me that he's in it to spread knowledge and help others, not just to make money.
    Rick and Nikki are great teachers. He does everything he can to make sure you learn what you need to learn. My bobcat hide slipped and he called around until he found a replacement at no cost to me. I don't see how anyone of average skills could justify not spending the money to bring their skills up to where Rick brought mine. Rick looked at pictures of mounts I sent him and taylored the lessons to what he felt I needed. He also through in areas (striper painting, deer eye setting, etc.) that I specifically asked for that didn't have anything to do with the two animals I was mounting. I might post before and after pictures later, but right now I'd be embarrassed to show the before even though I used to think they were fine. If you can't tell by now, I strongly recommend him as a teacher.

14. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes

Congratualtions to both you guys in doing a Great job. With Rick's knowledge and experience it really shows off and I didn't expect anything less. Great Job in keeping High Standards in this business. Best to each of you in the future.

Best,

John Griffith

15. boarhunter67

Here are some before pictures. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I'm fairly certain that I can reproduce the quality of the boar and bobcat I did at Rick's now since I understand the process so much better and as Rick suggests I will start to work from the inside out rather than the outside in.

16. boarhunter67

The last bobcat was one of the first I'd done and the other one had trouble with the ears, but even if they had been fixed it would in no way look like the one I did at Rick's. The picture of the pig done at Rick's doesn't show how much more detailed the mouth, jaw, eyes, and nose, are but he's definitely convinced me to start using artificial noses. In person, the differences are even more stark.

17. Rick Carter

Shane Garner of Louisiana came this week for a 3-day class on waterfowl. Shane really has a knack for detail and artistry. He should develop into a great taxidermist.
    Here are some photos from this week:

Shane painting an artificial wood duck head:

[​IMG]

Posing a flying mallard hen:

[​IMG]

Rick & Shane with the mounted waterfowl:

[​IMG]

Shane and Pam with their freshly mounted ducks:

[​IMG]

18. Rick Carter

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 9/23/11

Charlie and Jay Owle just completed an advanced whitetail 3-day course. They are taxidermists in Vero Beach, Florida. Their commercial work is much better than average and they are interested in advancing to competition work. We studied skeletal mechanics, ear placement and musculature, and breaking down reference. I will be surprised if you don't see them winning competitions very soon!

Here are some photos from our workshop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wendell

wendell Member

That's a sweet looking deer.nice job

20. charlieo

charlieo New Member

Thanks Rick we had a great time and learned a lot, looking forward to using your techniques for our next mounts. Rick makes learning interesting and explains in detail what your are doing and why, very intense sessions on every aspect of the whitetail deer. You are getting years of knowledge and knowhow for a very reasonable price from one of the best in the business. You will never look at your mounts the same. If you are looking to improve your skills and learning new ones this is the class for you. As a bonus I also made two great friends with Rick and Nickie.

Charlieo