1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 7/14/16

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rick Carter, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 10/17/2012

And mine....let me have it Rick! And would you please check out in beginers I posted this one for a crittque...would ya do me the honors, please!!!

Attached Files:

2. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 10/17/2012

In September, Gary decided that he was "stuck in the rut", and needed to do something to advance himself, taking the jump from, very serious hobby to doing mounts for customers. That's when he called Rick Carter. We got it all set up and I was going along to see the scenery and do a little site seeing while they were doing their class. That didn't happen...we talked to Rick and we ended up both taking the class. I had never mounted anything, I was the helper...scratched on forms etc... I sat and listened and absorbed all the info that I could, sat with the notebook while Gary and Rick mounted a deer.
    We came home, I told Gary, I think I want to try one by myself....My first was the doe posted earlier and I am now posting my second deer I have ever mounted.
    The reason for this post? Gary has come along way with his mounts, better understanding of how to utilize reference seeing things from the inside, what is underneath!! We have got a tremendous response from people and costumers after that class. They, and ourselves are blown away at the difference in the quality of our mounts.
    So, if you are looking to "better your game", learn a ton of info with a better understanding of anatomy, Rick Carter is your man!!
    I would personally like to thank Rick for shaving 15 years of pain suffering and headache of trial and error off of the art of taxidermy for us. Thank you for taking the "School Of Hard Knocks" for us as beginners and one "stuck in a rut" and passing that knowledge on to us. The blood, sweat and tears that you have went through throughout the years and advanced the taxidermy industry as we know it today.
    I still feel I have a long way to go and am so looking forward to spending another week with you in the spring for open mouth!
    Is it expensive?
    Of course it is.
    Is it worth it?
    Worth every penny...and then some!!

Thank you Rick from the bottom of my heart, Rick and Nickie, Y'all are great people and we are lucky to say we know ya!!!

Attached Files:

3. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 10/17/2012

and by the way, of course that is an Edge form!!! Lol

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 10/17/2012

Next time I see you guys I'm expecting some "bad ass Biscuits".

5. Rick Carter

Still time to schedule a class in March.

6. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 06/23/2013

Is there a class in March?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Rick Carter

Sorry, it's been booked up. I may have openings in June

8. Rick Carter

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,336973.msg2293209.html#msg2293209

Check out Cast-O-Rama!

9. Rick Carter

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 06/23/2013

Hunter Holley, from Florida, just completed a 3-day Boar class. His red colored pig was too cute to look mean. lol.
    We had a lot of fun during his time here. I wish him much success with his taxidermy business.

[​IMG]

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

That looks great. What colors did you use on the nose?

11. Hogholley

Hogholley New Member

The color on the nose and lips, was some magical, Rick Carter concoction, lol. I don't even think he knew what was in there!! I did have a wonderful time and I am ready to put some new found skills to work. Rick and Nickie were great host and are both excellent taxidermist, as we all know. I would like to think Rick especially for taking the time to have one on one classes at his place, to teach us all this great art. Also, Mr. Rick, you have a horn on your car, use it, lol!!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Rick Carter

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 9/15/2013

Yogi Wurtz just completed a 5-day workshop. He was a pleasure to work with. We covered anatomy, design, form alterations, and mounted a whitetail deer and a bobcat.
    Here are some photos taken during his time in the class:

All this study of anatomy and we didn't even mount a horse!:
    [​IMG]

Learning how to turn a head:
    [​IMG]

Yogi grooming the mount:
    [​IMG]

The bobcat turned out great:
    [​IMG]

He even got in a little photography lesson:
    [​IMG]

Yogi and I with his finished deer mount:
    [​IMG]

13. MITCHELL4

MITCHELL4 New Member

Beautiful work

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 9/15/2013

Just returned from an intense week of training with Rick Carter, the brain is still trying to file things and I hope to return to somewhat normal later this week.
    I have been “messing” with taxidermy for several years and opened a part time business 3 years ago. My customers were always pleased with my work but looking at award winning work I always wanted and wondered why my work did not pop.
    Until now there has always been truth to the saying you get what you pay for. I searched and spoke with award winning taxidermist that instructed the art all the time knowing they held the key I needed to get me where I wanted to be. NEVER in my wildest dreams did I ever think I could possibly learn anatomy, form alteration, complete habitat design and tricks of the trait were running like water on a hot day.
    Like most beginners the price of the training, time, associated cost and the fact that I knew it would be a onetime chance and I did not want to commit to the wrong teacher. Several months ago I stumbled on Rick Carter’s posting on taxidermy.net and was amazed that he was offering his wealth of experience for hire. Looking to kill two birds with one stone I contacted Rick and told him of my dilemma and where I wanted to go. He was more than willing to assist.
    I kind of pushed the envelope when I seen his training is one on one. I figured what better way to see if he could customize a schedule for me covering Whitetail deer and small mammals. To my great surprise Rick was more than happy to customize a schedule for me. For those of you in the know this should have been two separate classes through any other learning institute.
    If you need to reach the next lever regardless of the level you are currently at Rick can get you there. If you are new to the field do yourself and your customers the favor and seek Rick out, I will guarantee that you will not regret one cent of the training you will receive.

If you are looking for the road to the top remember one thing…the road to the top runs through Bogart, GA!

Rick I can’t thank you enough and don’t be surprised when you hear from me again….I WILL be looking to take another course with you.

Yogi

15. Rick Carter

Classes on Acrylic jawsets are still available one on one as well as at the Cast-O-Rama. Call and book a seminar soon!

16. Rick Carter

Re: Rick Carter Taxidermy Classes - New Photos added 1/28/14

Jason Lamb from Alabama just finished a week of classes. His deer looks great! We took the mount outside and photographed it just as it started snowing. We finished up early so he could get on the road. I hope he has a safe trip home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Rick Carter

Final call for Cast-O-Rama at Antlerman's studio April 28, 2014 to May 2, 2014

18. Rick Carter

This was originally posted by Tim Thacker (Antlerman) during the Cast-O-Rama

« on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »
    Reply with quote Modify message Remove this message Split Topic

Day 4 is in the books and we have one more day to go. This class has gone way beyond everyone's expectations. I honestly feel as though we all got our monies worth on day one, but Rick hasn't let up for one minute. He is a teaching machine. Everyday is yet another venture into the world of whitetail taxidermy. I simply can't say enough about what we all have learned this week. Perhaps the most interactive class I've ever participated in. The level of talent here is remarkable also. Everyone here has had something to share that will no doubt raise the bar for all of us in attendance. Top shelf stuff that you just couldn't get anywhere else at any price other than a group class filled with talent like this one. We have had fun too. A very well rounded group that I am so pleased to have had the opportunity to get to know and work beside. You guys have made this experience worth the effort and time it took to host this event. Rick and I are so happy about the way this class has gone that Rick is willing to do it again, so stay tuned. A date will be announce sometime in the future. But a word of caution to anyone who might consider this class on their bucket list. This class is for the individual who desires to compete at the highest levels. Don't be surprised to see some of this weeks attendees winning BIG at major competitions. George Reed, Ryan Lane, Billy Dunn, (last years best pro whitetail at the worlds winner), Kurt Ainsworth, (3rd in the world small mammal master's last year), and Michigan taxidermist Ralph Ely. All of these guys are knocking at the door and I expect that door to open wide for all these guys in the very near future. These guys already know what it takes to win, and now............if you expect to beat any of these guys in the future you best bring your A game and then some. Or better yet, get in on the next class so as to not get smoked by one of these guys at a show near you. YES, seriously.........this class is that good. Thank You Rick for pulling out all the stops and leaving it all on the table for us to absorb. I've dreamed about this class for a long long time, and I can honestly say you blew past all my dreams and expectations of what you would teach and share with us. Thank You So Much Mr. Carter. It has been an absolute dream come true, and beyond, and I know all the others feel the same way as I.

PS...........we also ate our asses off too.

A Major Thank You Also to McKenzie Taxidermy Supply for their outstanding contribution of materials and supplies sent to support this one of a kind class. Your help was over the top and we are all very very grateful, so THANK YOU McKenzie for everything.

Tomorrow afternoon everyone leaves, but all will be missed and remembered. WHAT A CLASS! Thank you all for coming. It was FUNTASTIC!

19. Rick Carter

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,367709.0.html

20. Rick Carter

Denton Cline from Missouri is here taking advanced training on Whitetail deer. We had a long day today and started getting goofy about anatomy. We airbrushed some of the musculature on the earbutts and then started scribbling bones and skull parts. We quit and are about to go eat dinner at Rafferty's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]