1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How would you fix this whitetail ear?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kendall1987, Jul 25, 2011.

1. The hair on the inside of this ear started rubbing of as I was mounting this buck.I guess something went wrong during tanning process.Not sure but it isnt loosing hair anymore, but wondering what would be the best way to cover this up.The tan part that you see no hair is the actual skin not the earliner.Thanks Ken]

Attached Files:

• ear.JPG
      ear.JPG
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  2. Paint

3. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Put a dab of super glue on it and stick a cotton ball on it. When the glue dries pull off the cotton ball. It will leave strands of cotton, do a little at a time till you cover the bald spot then groom the hair and cotton strands. Maybe a shot of paint to blend.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I would repair as said above, and then turn the ears back, rather than the forward pose. This would keep that area from getting attention.

5. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    Just my two cents worth, I use clear silicone adhesive. Clean area with denatured alcohol,take matching hair from scrap hide,clip trim bottom even, using small clips at a time. Place silicone on hide enough to set hair ends into ,about eighth of an inch. Hair will be layered ,so start at back and work out.Placing hair next to each other work out to edge. Then softly lay hair over towards direction you want and let dry. This works extremely well once you get hang of it . Have replaced missing hair using paint brush bristles, that match or the grass you buy for model railroad scenes.

6. Thanks for all the advice guys I'll get it done.this website is
    Awesome.

7. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Respectfully, I tried the cotton ball deal, and found it unsatisfactory.

Likewise, sticking the ends of trimmed scrap hide into silicone in a short haired area like this would be time consuming...and again I find unsatisfactory. (Just my opinion....

Spare deer ears are literally a dime a dozen. Keep a dozen scrap pair around from when you do antler mounts etc.
    When you need to....invert, peel from cartilage, trim to fit...and epoxy to earliner.

Flawless, and takes about 10-15 minutes.

Jim

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

paint covers everything....

9. good