1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning-up an Old Mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Chris31, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Chris31

Chris31 New Member

So, everybody thinks I'm crazy, but I picked up this old kingfish mount at a junk store for $40 the other day. I realize that I'm never going to get this thing looking brand new, but I would like to get some of the old oil, dirt and grime off of him. What do you guys think I should use to clean it? Would there be any issue with using a laquer-based gloss coat after it's cleaned?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I think that eye is in backwards. The pointy side should be going forwards. To me, I'd strip it, replace all the fins with reproduction fins, replace the eye, rebuild with apoxie and repaint it.

3. akairman

akairman New Member

yeah, thats alot of work for a fish that you bought at a junk store. you looking to make it look like an actual fish, or just clean up an antique? its all up to how much time and money you want to put into it

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Hopefully, they paid YOU $40 to take it - lol! What's the old saying, "you can polish a turd, but no matter how much you clean her up, it's stilll a turd" LOL!

Sorry, man - couldn't resist.

Since you probably can't return it and get your money back a good start would be to grind that eye out and replace. Next, sand down and/or grind out all the bad areas. You may need to go get more sanding disks after this fish - lol! Blow off the dust. Then, take an old soft rag and spray some water on it and Windex. Test it on the backside. I've never had any issues but Windex can eat paint. Wipe that sucker down. I wouldn't worry about risking it with this fish because it needs a total restore anyway. But, it should easily remove all the dirt and grime and nothing else. I would probably even spray it with Windex in areas tough to get to (along the bases of the fins, cracks, etc.) Let it dry. Skip this step if you're planning on stripping and repainting it. If you choose to white-out vs. stripping the Windex and a cleaning is in order. Or, you can simply clean it up with the WIndex solution, plop it on Ebay or C.L. and market it as "Vintage Taxidermy" - lol!

5. J_Guid

J_Guid New Member

You are crazy....lol

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Somebody should feel REALLY bad about charging you any money for that thing, really. I would clean that thing up with a couple M-80's and video it for you-tube. You'll get way more satisfaction out of it that way..... ;D.....do yourself a favor and just say NO....