1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"wa" bobcat question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by B.S.O'Hare, Jul 29, 2011.

1. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I sent "wa" a message, but the account hasnt been active since may or something, so I thought I would post it here and see if anyone knew the answer. I had a customer bring in a bobcat a while ago with a picture of a bobcat done at Wildlife Artist Studio of Taxidermy: (pic below)

My question is, can you buy a form similar to this, or is it a modified form?

I was thinking of getting the BC17 from: (pic below)

Seems like modifying wouldnt be too tough. Just thought I would ask in case anyone had a good answer!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

First off it's his own sculpted head and it's a wrapped mannakin he can change to whatever pose he wishes to some degree to fit the wood.
    Buy Snowhare's wrapping video would be your best start....

3. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

If your cat will fit that forms deminsions, I would modify the form and put it on a rock along with a peice of wood where you can better fit the form to the rock and log. Shoudln't be to hard to modify form, or wrap a body would work just fine too.

4. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Not even close to WA. learn to wrap or carve your own, study up on them and lots of practice.

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Thats alot of altering there, head and neck position, position of the scapula, spine and legs....lots of time to do that. However, if you can't wrap (which I can't either) it may be your best bet.

6. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

well I don't have the carcass anymore, I wouldn't feel comfortable wrapping a manikin without it.
    And what is "not even close to WA"?

7. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Look, yourt a taxidermist right? Take measuremnets of the skin-lay it out in a natural pose and go from there. You should be able to carve or wrap body in any pose you wish. The reference is out there by the truck loads. Test fitting along the way as additional help too! Look at other mannikins for adjustments as well. Theres fifty ways to mount a cat. Modifying a standard mannikin can work just as well and actually quicker in some circumstances....

8. snowhare

snowhare New Member

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3 well said rony boy , how hard can it be eh

Snow

9. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Thanks folks for answering my question. If I'm feeling ballsy I'll post a pic of it when I get it done!

10. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

now yur talkin.. ;)

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    This is close Though "no cigar" ... with a little alteration, and it can be made up into a passable facsimile ...
    [​IMG]
    This is from Fosters Taxidermy Supply: NBC-CM8 Bobcat. Lying on limb Looking Right 1⅜'' x 29'' x 14½'' Eye Size 18ᵐᵐ $62.00

Or, as has already been suggested, you can wrap the body ... basic Taxidermy 101. You can use a change-out head if you are uncomfortable carving up your own. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck to you.

John.

12. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    And here is yet another. This one by Brian Harness, is at least facing the same direction ...
    [​IMG]

The long and the short of it is, you have to look :eek: ...

13. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

that's the best looking bobcat mount I've seen no snarl that badboy says it with the eyes!!

14. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Take the legs of that manakin , and use wrapped ones so that they can be fitted on the rock , ore tree trunk ya use

15. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

thanks guys! I told the guy i would do similar, not exactly the same, so i have some room to play. Thanks John, I know I have to look, i did and found a couple good options! Snowhare I like the idea of just wrapping the legs.

16. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

As promised, here are some pics!

this is the original form, which I posted above at the start of this thread

Attached Files:

17. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

removed and reshaped back leg, as well as cut off head
    front leg was also removed and repositioned

Attached Files:

18. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

wrapped part of back leg
    more work on front leg, wrapped neck and reattached head

Attached Files:

19. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I'm no "wa" but I am happy with the finished product, and the customer is too!

Attached Files:

20. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

more

redkatt1968 likes this.