1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is the earliner glue/past

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jkjohn, Jul 30, 2011.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

What has worked the best for you guys who use earlines as far as glue/epoxy?

2. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Buckeye supreme has worked very well for me

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

pro-1Hide paste.

4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Bryan's Supreme, Roman Pro-555 & Buckeye Supreme

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I guess I'm the dumb one. I can't fathom EVER using a hide paste to hold plastic earliners in a deer. It simply doesn't STICK. Try putting some on a earliner on your workbench and let it cure if you doubt me. I'm always in a hurry, and Liquid iFast set works PERMANENTLY in 5 minutes.

jessewild likes this.
  6. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

George, there is no one else for me to disagree with here to night. So it looks like you are gonna have to be the one.

When you lay it on your work bench what does it do, run off of the earliner? ???

7. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Quick question for you George. What did you use for an earliner adhesive before Epo-grip came out ?

8. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I bet he used ground horses hoof

9. George

D. it dries and then when you touch it, it sloughs off.

Bruce I used a hole punch on my liners and then used linoleum contact cement.

10. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

I use Buckeye Supreme no issues . It works as long as the liners are sized correctly and prepped.

Slouths off
    I have a pair of earliners in my shop that have Buckeye Supreme on them from at least 4 years ago and that ain't slouthing off by no means.

11. I use Buckeye no problem. I use a stout ruffer and sand paper to prep the earliner, don't have much of a problem with drumming as long as your liner fits properly and inside of the ear is clean, and fairly dry.
    Jim

12. George

Jim, I'm belaboring a point, but in the time it takes you to prep your earliner, mine are being set on the manikin and I don't have to ever go back and taxi the the skin.

13. JLong

JLong Member

I use Ear Adhesive fast set from Mckenzie, works great and sets in bout 15 minutes.

14. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I just had to tear a old deer apart(9 years mounted) to steal the liner from...long story and worse deer so ... anyhow I used buckeye then. I also sanded the ear liner and cleaned it in acetone. well while I didn't have any drumming in that ear I wouldn't call the skin glued down either. The inner ear skin and glue pulled right off giving me a nice clean liner, the back was a bit tougher but in a few minutes I had my liner cleaned and glued in my new deer.

So I think like anything else its all about the fit. elmers glue would probably work if all was sized right.. I have had two parts release when I sized my liners to big.

15. I use Real Ears from Mckenzie. Dosen't anyone else?

16. hey George do you have to do a wash of acitone first to get rid of the mold release or just apply liquid ifast and insert into the ear. Your right, I have at least 10 to 15 min in a set of ears just in prep time. But that's how I learned to do it, and it has worked very well. If I can get away from that prep time with good results, I would consider a switch in my procedure.
    Jim

17. George

No Jim, you don't need to wash them with anything. It's a popular misconception that injection molded "plastic" even needs any release agent. Because of it's composition, none is required (which is EXACTLY why BONDING agents aren't sufficient to affix the skin to the plastic earliners to begin with.) That doesn't mean that the SKIN doesn't need to be washed (with soap and warm water) to remove residual topical oils that will insulate the epoxy from adhering to the liner. When Epo-Grip introduced taxidermy specific epoxies to the industry some 15 years ago, I mounted about a half dozen ears for advertising. Those ears are just as crisp and clean today as they were when I mounted them and for demo purposes at the initial "coming out" seminar held in Florida that year, we tried removing them. We tore the ear to shreds. Personally, I like the Liquid Fast Set so that I can pour it into the ear pocket and squeeze it around to insure 100% coverage, but the Clear Paste works just as easily and quickly. It has a Vaseline quality to it. Working time is about 6 minutes so you need to do one ear at a time which will allow you more than sufficient time to position the skin (on a prefitted liner) and groom the hair.

jessewild likes this.
  18. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

hey george where do you get epo grip from

19. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

marking.

20. George

WACO and Vandykes carry it or you can call them direct at 1-800-888-2467