1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oryx Leather

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by antlerlogan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. I shot scimitar oryx few days ago and im getting the back half tanned for leather..... but i dont know if i should get it dyed or not ??? id prefer it would be natural unless it is an ugly color and sense the internet was unreliable i figured to post it on here (i'm using the leather for boots)

2. Rush

Rush New Member

Best to have it done professionaly. Speciality leather n I beleive they are in Iowathey do a real fine job of dying leather.

3. i am going to have it done by a professional i just want to know what the color would come out like

4. It will vary by tannery a little, but if it's done in a garment type leather (chrome), which is what most of the leather tanneries do, it will be white with a slight to possibly very noticeable blueish cast. For moccasins you might be looking for somebody who does a veg tan or harness type leather, I think it will be fairly brown right from the start

5. egy

egy Member

Try Yost Fur Dressing. The leather colors offer'd are natural, gold, black and brown. Oryx leather has a very nice grain, suitable for making boots with the assistance of a form, which the leather is stretched around, to make the boot.

6. egy

egy Member

Try Yost Fur Dressing. The leather colors offer'd are natural, gold, black and brown. Oryx leather has a very nice grain, suitable for making boots with the assistance of a form, which the leather is stretched around, to make the boot.

7. Any pics of chrome, veg, or distressed tanned PLEASE the internet has failed me