1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tear duct/corner of eye problems!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by deadeyedave2008, Aug 3, 2011.

1. When i hang up my deer to dry their tear ducts look awesome. Tucked way in and perfect then a few days later they are pulled out and flat....I know this is from shrinkage but is there anything i can do to prevent this? like glue in the hole? I use clay back in the hole to help with the shaping. It looks great at first then it just dries popped out and flat. I have shoved a t-pin in there too but it seems to pull them out as well.....I get all my hides tanned by professionals,and use critter clay and tuck them in real deep!! so can someonehelp me out please!!!!!!!

2. Souunds like you need to thin them more than you are doing presently. Shave the whole area around the eye and tear duct and your problems should go away. Plus a good hide paste!

Bruce

3. X2 and also babysit as it dries its taxi of the skin isnt a set it and forget it.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

bag it ;D

5. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

Try all these tips and also try to angle your slot towards the nose of the deer instead of straight in. I know this sounds crazy but some guys actually cut a slit in the duct when they thin and this helps with shrinkage. I personally don't but when I accidentally cut one it seems to not move at all.

6. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

P.S. Make sure to get rid of your tendon thats runs from corner to duct.

7. racksandspurs

racksandspurs facebook page...racksandspurs taxidermy

x2 on getting rid of that small tendon and x3 on good hide paste!

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Thin!!!!!

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Before you fold the skin of the tucked-in tear duct over, apply a bead of Gel Super Glue to the interior ... not a lot ... you don't want it oozing out.

Fold the skin over on itself, gently shape it with your fingers and/or a wooden modeling tool.

In a few seconds it will bond, and it will stay the way you positioned it! Easy-peasy! Best of luck to you! ;)

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Taxi extra slack skin towards the gland and eye areas, a tight face will always drum. Make sure you have slack skin to pack towards the problem area.

11. krollh

krollh Active Member

Your definetly need the slack skin. Some forms it's hard to get and it's a little hard telling how tight it will be in this area when test fitting the hide. Before I pull the hide on I stretch, by hand, the skin between the eyes to give me as much as I can get.

I also use the superglue suggestion and maybe a brad, not in the tear duct but next to it, on each side if it is a long haired deer. Plus check on as it dries, as others have said.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you set your antlers too far back or too high, it can make it harder. Believe it, or not.

I keep tucking it and smooshing the skin toward the duct for a couple days and never have a problem.

13. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

In addition to all the aforementioned tips....make sure to take a measurement of your deer between the eye orbits.

Everyone seems very concerned with the eye to nose measurement...but the width of the head will give you fits (with pulling at tear ducts) if the mannikin is too wide in the head.

Just my two cents...

Jim

14. james shipman

james shipman New Member

What form do you use ?

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Forget the clay. If youve shaved thin enough, look at the obvious. Too many forms dont have the gland in the right place to begin with. Couple that with the tendency for many of us to over fill our lids, and youll see pulling for sure. I teach students to reinforce that area after adjusting it to where it needs to be. The skin does have a memory to fit that area correctly.

16. We pin our tear ducts in with T-pins bent in a loose right angle curve. They hold up pretty well. And when it's dry just hammer the pin in with a pin pusher, and you'll never see it again. :)

17. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Why hammer the pin in after it drys just pull it out .

As everybody has said Thin Thin Thin, good glue and measurements.
    Me personally I never use pins no need to if your skin fits it will stay.

and you should always check them daily as they dry just to make sure there
    is no issues and if there is you can address it then instead of later when its dry.

18. Simply, it's more dificult to pull it out once it's dried and glued in. One quick whack with a hammer and you can't even see it. :p
    When we push the pin in while it's wet, it goes allllll the way into the tear duct so that the pin, and the T hold the tear duct in.

19. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I think bills answer covered it perfectly. Holding in place with at pin is not a sound technique to be preaching....but skin alignment is. I don't use pins either Wildlife 1 as it is just not necessary. Instead I make my tear duct slot in a more correct position and watch over it as it dries. Little to finish work is required when I am done.

20. I cant believe how much attention this got!! Thanks for all the answers and tips, i learned alot!!