1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first snow goose here and have a concern?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Im not going to tumble this one, so i started blow drying it. It has a yellow tint to the feathers manily on the back and wings. It only seems to be on the tips of those feathers. Could it be cause it wasnt completely dry? I didnt want to waste time drying it if it needed to be washed again. It was fleshed and cleaned, Washed several times with dawn, Then I liquid cure with Kemal 4. Then another washing and I even used some of that winks rust remover on the final rinsing. Should I just finish drying it or should I do something else ???

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Was it colored before you started? A lot of snow geese have rusty colored feathers from minerals in the water. I've tried all kinds of things to get it out with no luck. Be careful you don't over wash it. You can overdo it and you'll have feathers that look frizzy.

3. Most snow geese have a yellowish tint it's natural. I bleached the first one I did with hair peroxide and it needed a lamp shade. Big mistake.

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

So just dry it up and go with it ??? I didnt notice if it was like this before i should of looked it over better before it came in.

5. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Yep just dry it up and mount... Snow geese aren't actually as white as you'd expect... Especially when wet they will have a yellow tint... They'll appear whiter when dry.

6. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

I Agree with brandon i have shot hundreds of those birds and they all look white until you get a good close look at them dry it and mount it

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I DON'T agree. They ones I've shot were WHITE, perhaps a bit green from goose crap, but white. The yellowing is what I call "flash burn". White bird feathers seem exceptionally prone to being sensitive to harsh soaps. If you washed your bird in a strong soap and left it in there too long, the feathers will yellow. Once that happens, there's nothing you can do. I check the pH of the solution and try to keep it at 10-12. When I get it, I wash the bird quickly and never let it set static in the solution for over 10 minutes. Then I rinse it with copious amounts of water to insure all the soap is removed. I may end up rewashing the bird again, but only once more.

8. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Goerge is right as far as soap / chemicals causing a burn. but I have to respectfully disagree with the "white" statement. Almost all "white" birds i have mounted have had a yellow tint when wet.

9. X2 on the yellow tint!!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I WILL agree to the part "when wet". They do have a yellow tint then, but when dry, they damned sure aren't supposed to look like a pale canary either.

11. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

It'l turn white when dry

12. i have used IRON OUT and that will take the mineral stains off the bird.

13. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

Come on guys..................... 100 bucks this bird was taken in the spring.... and the feathers are worn out... shot.... ca put.. ready to fall out..

Its a big problem with spring birds... not much you can do about it..

But I could be wrong...

14. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

the bird was shot during the the first week of march in western new york. First snows seen around here and they took five that day. Still very cold and snowing here.

15. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

thanks guys for the advice

16. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

Shawn73........ Yep thats a spring bird and their feathers are getting pretty bad by then and getting ready to molt... not much you can do about woren out feathers like that.. When they dry they won't be as noticable as they are when wet..

17. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I always wanted to go on those spring snow goose hunts in the mid west some are in april those birds must be crap by then??

18. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

They will be just about the same as what you are working on with goose you have... some alittle bit better then others.. but for the most part they are all warren and frayed on the ends.. All make mounts but with the understanding that they won't be perfect..

The same goes with Swans take in the west during there Sept. October season.. With those we will be dealing with old feathers and brand new or "blood feathers" that easily fall out during the mounting process..

You will also run into trouble with Fall turkeys.... unless you are lucky enough to get one in from late late November/December.. I tell all my customers fall is the time to harvest hens or jakes for meat... and let your toms go till spring.. unless they want a hen for a decoy..