1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

National Champion Bird!!!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by NDNHunter, Aug 4, 2011.

1. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Finally back from a much needed vacation!! LOL :D ;) Yeah, I know, old news but I have to blow my horn. :D What a great show it was!! I met so many talented artists there, what a blast!! Congratulations to all the winners, and to everyone who entered pieces!! Thanks to Larry, Ken and the NTA for making it happen, to all the judges, especially Mr. Gary Senk :) :) ;) Also, I would like to thank the South Dakota Taxidermy Association for all their hard work!! :) ;) A very special "Thank You" to my good friend Olous Lyons for always believing in me and helping me in so many ways. Thanks Bud!!!! Thanks to NTA website for the pic. ;) :D
    Perry Coleman

Attached Files:

2. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Hey Perry, congrats on your victory. Wish I could've made it in person. I've seen your work and very well deserved.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

got any different angles? something looks odd with the feet/leg placement on rock.....looks nice though

4. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Congrats. Great looking mount

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

x2. pat i thought the exact same thing!

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Who cares how the damn feet are? How about a "nice job"? Man you guys are gettin bad. :D

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Didn't mean to upset ya bro. But the guy won a major award with something he obviously takes pride in. I'm sure it was judged by people who I'd like to think knew what they were doing. He just wants to share his moment with us. He's proud of his piece and the award he got with it.
    I guess I'm just getting grumpy in my old age :D

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

nice piece no doubt just was curious about foot/leg placement and maybe its the camera angle...looks like it was mounted on flat base..then transferred to rock.......sorry for noticing....I studied under Ken Asproth who is possibly the best "living" grouse taxidermist...and was taught to get the stance/attitude first...then the grooming/finishing.......didnt mean to take anything from perry at all....enjoy
    i

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would agree that something is "off" with the feet, but what the heck? The rest of it is extremely nice, and if the feet are ALL that is wrong with it then it could easily score high enough to blow any competition out of the water. 'Just depends on the competition.
    It is extremely, extremely rare for a mount to score 100% so the vast majority of show winners fall somewhere in the 90s. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, and it leaves room for the next one to be even better.

10. mislynx

mislynx Active Member

X3 Mounted walking then put on that base your right byrdman. It's off for the flow of the mount in that pic.

11. Nancy C

Looking at it some more, and assuming that those are artificial rockes, it would be an easy fix. Just knock the corner of that upper rock off, make it level, and then re-texture and re-paint/stain it. I think that would make a world of difference in the overall "flow" of the mount.

12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Congrats on a beautiful mount and your awards. It looked even better in person.

13. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Some of you crossed lines that you should not have crossed...nor were you asked too.

14. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I don't think they were too hard on him Elkins, you have to be pretty thick skinned to get to Perry's level. All true works of art will have people who love them and some who don't.

15. NDNHunter

Thanks everyone for your comments!! Like Jerry said, I'm a big boy, LOL :D Thanks Jerry, and Congrats to you on your win as well!! Congratulations also to Randy H. on his North American Championship win. Very Excellent Piece ;) Yeah, camera angles can do funny things sometimes. :D :p Yes, he was mounted directly on the rock, not transfered. ;) Some of you are very lucky that you got to study under various master taxidermists. Heck byrdman, you'll probably have one of these in no time at all studying under Ken A. (whom I'm a big fan of) ;) I never had that opportunity. I grew up in a native american ghetto, not much opportunity, except what you make for yourself. But we are Very Rich in natural resources, thats where I got MY education. 8) ;) ;D turned total bird brain by the time I was 5 yrs old. I started doing bird taxidermy at the age of 8, 40 yrs. ago, (northwestern school of taxidermy correspondence course) ;D ;D ;). completely self taught, which makes this award much more to me. ;D 8) (fondling bronze eagle head) 8) ;) Have a Good Night!!!! Perry C.

16. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Yeah, that Northwestern School of taxidermy left one or two things out of the books didn't they Perry...Like, that you need to flesh your birds for one... ;D "Gee, why is there yellow slime dripping out of my mount?" I took that class when I was 8 and passed. We'll have to get a reunion party together Perry! ;) Congrats again!

17. NDNHunter

You got that right Rick!! LOL Happened to a bird I took to school. jeez!! When I first started, I couldn't afford those fancy glass eye's so I just colored them in with a black marker. Looked Good!! :eek: :eek: :D

18. Nancy C

So, have you ever tried to de-fat a bird with plaster of Paris and gasoline?
    All I got was off-white colored mud.

19. NDNHunter

So how did you come up with that idea Nancy? :) Or did you accidently grab the plaster instead of the borax. lol :D

20. Nancy C

LOL -- no. :D I'm not quite THAT bad. (Yet!) Although, with this early onset AAADD I wonder sometimes ...

I have a couple of the old pamphlets that came from the Northwest School of Taxidermy (from around the mid 40s) and that was what they recommended to use to degrease waterfowl.
    I never could get it to work.