1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African TICS!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by RDA, Aug 4, 2011.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

[​IMG]

cant say ive seen these colorfull ones before..

2. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Yep, they will bite the $hit out of you too when they are still alive. I've seen them on giraffe and some of the larger game. Damn things make my skin crawl......

3. "Bont Ticks" Those appear to be male, the females are solid colored almost black. Got a whole lesson on them from the PH - after one attached itself to the back of my calf. They also carry a nasty bacteria, the bite will not heal over for a loooong time and crusts up. In a few days to a few weeks you'll feel like you have the flu, you don't, you have African Tick Bite Fever.

On a side note, those little bastards are unbelievably fast - By the time you feel one crawl over the top of your sock you better be grabbing about mid thigh - you wouldn't want one biting the frank and beans...... :D

4. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Learn something new everyday....

5. Lot to learn about ticks.

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

fyi thats a tanned skin...

7. The ioxids mate while feeding on their host, which includes mammals such as livestock and humans, and birds. "Most other insects mate before or after their brief blood meal—the two acts are totally separate, but not with ticks,”

And rather than a quickie, the African tick and other ioxids (Hard bodied)remain on the host for days to weeks during the mating cycle. While awaiting a mate, the virgin female will latch onto a host, slowly feeding on blood. The “dieting” rate of food intake ensures a svelte figure, which keeps the female tick below a critical weight necessary for laying eggs.

a few reasons to explain why the fatso females wouldn’t reattach, including the observation that when the ticks go beyond the critical weight their salivary glands, necessary for feeding, degenerate. If they can’t suck blood why find a host? No host equals no chance of finding a mate.

"A virgin is really at a dead end if she leaves the host above the critical weight because she won’t be able to reattach, and any eggs she lays will be infertile,” Kaufman told LiveScience.

In fact, the virgin tick rarely exceeds the critical weight necessary for laying eggs. “If she remains small she still has a chance to reattach itself to another host—hopefully infested with some feeding males—continuing feeding and potentially mate," Kaufman said.

The male tick also plays a role in the after-sex binge. Its seminal fluid contains two so-called engorgement factor proteins that signal the female not to finish engorging until reaching up to 1,000 milligrams.

Ioxid ticks transmit many infectious diseases to livestock and wild animals and are second only to mosquitoes in passing pathogens to humans. For these reasons, Kaufman hopes to continue this research to find an anti-tick vaccine. Preliminary experiments have suggested that normal, mated ticks can’t fully engorge when feeding, and in turn can’t produce viable eggs, on a host that has been immunized against the engorgement factor proteins. If this is the case, scientists could concoct an anti-tick vaccine that would block the tick’s reproduction and keep hosts safe from further infestation.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=african+tick+species&view=detail&id=7928F6C9C2CA6446B5C47AB8235BB320BC58926D&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=african+tick+species&view=detail&id=156A3CAA4609BA27C4A2A3D1DEB4B838296228BA&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.livestrong.com/article/192334-african-tick-disease/

Anyway thats enough for ticks from Africa for now.

8. I had those on a bunch of my animals from my trip to Zimbabwe in 02. They almost have a tortise shell appearance to them. While I didn't get any of them on me, I did get infested with pepper ticks.....I won't tell you where I found them.

9. Yes sir - thought I would share what I knew about them.

They get the size of your thumb when gorged, most come off when the blood stops pumping or, in the salt. ;D

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I most often see them still fastened to tanned kudu in my african shipments. They are kinda cool colored.

11. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Yep! They look really cool w/opti visors! Almost like a painting on war shield!

12. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    They look really cool on a finished mount! I saw some on the drinking giraffe that Mr. Ray Hatfield took to the 2009 world show, and they still have their colors.

It's amazing that a little creature like that can be riding around on something and stay attached after everything that happens, from getting shot, skinned, salted, dipped, shipped, rehydrated, washed, shaved, tanned, tumbled, frozen and thawed, and then mounted and finished, all without damage or fadding.

Never ceases to amaze me... thanks for posting the picture Mr. Ron :)

13. Ticks saliva is almost like super glue, then the mouth parts can be 1/4 long and sometimes that too is glued in place be saliva. I agree with Yox they are pretty sort of.

Pepper ticks, sounds like our seed ticks here. Just walk through the woods here and you will have a butt load of them litterly!

14. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I agree. Sure are prettier than the locals ... as long as they're dead!

15. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks like they would make some nice earrings, send me some, that would be something different for the wife, LOL

16. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

The live ones that I have seen are a little brighter and have a little more reddish color where the dead ones are yellowish... Like I said, they bite and leave a nasty wound....

17. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I have permanent scars on my ankles by pepper ticks in Masailand. Nasty little devils.

18. I have tick bits from two months ago that are just healing up and these are tick bites from N America. I cannot imagine how bad the African ticks are. The Europeon ticks are darned hard to get loose!