1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to carve mannikan?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andysmith, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

i have a customer who wants the front of the neck to really stick out. he said his old taxidermist cut then burned the part that was cut out. any ideas on how to do this or what he is talking bout exactly?.. he also want blood veins in the face like a texas deer. dont know why

2. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Dont know bout the cut/burn thing but if the guy wants "veining" he needs to shoot a early season deer. If this guy shot his deer in December in lets say Michigan you'll be hard pressed to get the veining to show through the long hair and if it does it will just make the HAIR stick out rather than really showing the veining. If you want to try then this is how I do it ,I just sand the veining down and go over the old veining with beed of glue out of the glue gun (Make sure your surface is clean or it will not stick.

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag! Arnold Schwarzenegger deer on steroids. And a pyromaniac to boot. His old taxidermist is a hack. Don't allow him to turn you into one too. LOL

4. What Rick said

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!

6. AMEN

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

You don't want those kind of customers.

8. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

it is a southwest missouri deer shot in november. i dont think the veining will show either.. i dont think swollen front neck looks natural either but shouldnt you give the customer what they want?

9. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

To a certain extent sure, but you decide where to draw the line and how to try and educate the customer as to right, wrong, natural, and just plain freaky.

10. I'd also be careful burning any foam. . . Some foam burns and emits toxic gasses.
    If you want to accentuate the muscles, you can do a little rasping on the form to make them stick out a little more, but you can only go so far before it just looks dumb. :p

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey is dead right. When I get a customer who tells mm "Well so-and-so always does my deer like..." I tell them that perhaps he'd rather take it there. I tell my customers right up front that the deer is what it is and that's how it will bs mounted. If they was.t it to look bigger they need to SHOOT bigger deer. The last thing you want is a reputation of mounting grotesque looming deer because of one jerk.

12. Brent W

Brent W New Member

I agree it is not a good idea to torch foam, I have seen guys that take the skin or shine off the foam by using a torch and the fumes are bad. In general I have the customer tell me what pose they want, right or left, sneak, upright, semi sneak etc. We usually discuss ears forward or back, rutting, alert all of those things. When the customer starts talking about vein detail and muscle definintion I explain the long hair vs. the short hair. I also have a lot of reference pics of deer to help us decide but I am not going to make one of those freak muscled deer mounts out of a form. In my opinion some forms already go to the extreme on big necks and veining.

13. revolutionMan

revolutionMan New Member

His old taxidermist is most likely dead or in an oxygen tent!! Half of the foam used in forms is isocyanate. Bad news in liquid form or when introduced to heat.
    Isocyanates are potentially dangerous irritants to the eyes and respiratory tract. No matter which chemical is used, all isocyanates must be treated as a highly hazardous chemical. The greatest risk when dealing with these chemicals involves inhalation of the fine vapours or droplets which irritate the nose lungs and thorax. Increased exposure to isocyanates can lead to sensitization causing workers to experience asthma attacks.

14. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

thanks everyone! ill just rasp the form some and put a bead of hot glue on the face. no need of potentiallly killing myself lol!