1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my pain is your pleasure. enjoy.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ladyarcher726, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

MELTDOWN!
    lots of swearing, a little throwing. With the head of the form in the skin, an hour of FORCIBLY tucking lips, and now the eyes won't tuck and the clay is so far gone I had to smear it all away just to FIND the glass? REALLY? I smashed it all back into the bag and threw it in the freezer.
    Done. I am never going to try to rehydrate and mount a dry tan again.

Problem is now I either have to reimburse the customer for the skin, or find another bobcat that is NOT dry tanned and start all over, paying for another cape, and another form, and burning another saturday on this damned project.

2. First off,,,,,BREATHE!

Second, strip the skin off of the form, measure the skin and then order the right size form. Also, cut the lip slot so you CAN tuck the lips and not have to force them.

If I had a dime for all the times I was ready to throw a skin in the trash, I would have,,,,,,, well,,,,,, quite a few dollars.

Don't trash the skin. Start over.

3. ladyarcher726

the skin fits fine, it's that dry tan that I obviously didn't rehydrate enuf. so it's back in salt water, again, that dry tan is very tough to try to thin, especially when there are holes in the lips already. my eye clay looked really good too. ah well, it's soaking, then I'll rinse and freeze and leave it for september when I have a free weekend again... I'd kinda like to do something enjoyable tomorrow vs being stuck in my basement all weekend.

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

When ready to mount, bag it and let it sweat in the fridge overnite, then let it sweat until roomtemp to mount.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Like Randy said plus get some arm and hammer washing soda. Mix a little in a spray bottle of water and spritz the skin with it. It should relax the skin and give you some more stretch.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Or better yet, follow the rehydrating instructions of the tannery who tanned it.

7. i sponge my drytan with downy fab softner, it usually gives me alot more stretch.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

All good advice here and another tip on the eyes of cats. You can do your clay work after you get the skin on the form. Their facial structure allows you to pull the skin back far enough to do the clay work, then you don't have to worry about messing it up much. Cats can be tough at times, but just like everything else, take it one step at a time and you will get it.

9. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

I agree with Matt, I almost always do the claywork after the skin is on. I just pull the skin back. You can also wait a little while for the clay to set up a bit so it's not as soft, but the first works best.

10. there is no shame in whats going on here i would of coarse do something completely differant take your monster and give it a bath in warm water with pert plus shampoo , let the beast soak for 20 min then take it out dont rinse it and roll it in a dry towel. the beast will stretch as far as you want it to. i always do it this way without fail/ when i tryed to swet in in a frg i lost 2 cats they slip very easly. not to say its wrong ive just had some bad experances that way. the warm skin will strtch beleave me . the eyes and claying is correct as matt said , i how ever use critter clay for the ears . oh i know i can hear it now, so to answer your complaints now ill just say that if you stupid enough to lift your cat by the ears bondo wont work either ,,,,,,, everyone dose them differant and its just the way i do it. you would also find it a hell of a lot eayier to tan them your self its very very easy and your done in 4 days use the mckinzie method . i do a lot of cats and i found out its the easy way . by the way today is my first day home from the hosp. i had heart surgery and i feel great mark c

11. Short taxi

Short taxi Member

BC
    Alright now I gotta ask. I've never sent anythng to a tannery yet, always do my own stuff. So I know he difference with a wet tan vs dry, obviously oe is dry and broke and the other is, well, wet. What difference would it make in trying to do a mount? Isn't a rehydrated dry tan the same as a wet tan? I sound like a total novice here but I really have no clue what tanneries do with their stuff and how that affects a taxidermist's job. I like doing my own stuff. If there's a problem I have noone to blame but myself. :)

12. you need to push the what ! button there is a differance

13. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

I'd be willing to bet that the reason you lost cats while trying to sweat them in the frig, is because they were home tanned.

14. ladyarcher726

Mark C, glad to hear that you're home and recovering, and I hope your surgery was a complete success?
    This was a purchased dry tanned cat, otherwise I do home tan also. I did contact the tannery and they said to basically soak it in salt water, rinse and sweat, which is the basic info that I've found on my searches. Guess I needed to soak it longer, so after my melt down I did soak the face and feet in salt water for another half hour, rinsed, bagged and froze. I'll try again down the road. Not worried about it now as I'm getting ready for our state rendezvous this coming weekend!
    I do appreciate all of the advice, thank you.

15. I just soak it in water and fabric softener for 20mins. I then roll it up in the sink and then I cover it with a damp towel. Then I cover it with a plastic bag and tuck all the edges. Then I leave it like that over night and then it is ready. I think that you didn't let it sweat over night. You gotta do that.

16. well I'm not so sure that the refg. sweating is the real reason . i do a pile of cats and Field care may play a bigger roll in the reasons why. i will confess that after i lost 2 cats that i never do this sweating stuff again. i do use the dehydrator and i do use warm water for about 10 to 20 min after they come out of the freezer. so I'm not sold on sweating anything. my biggest trick is the pert plus shampoo ... Lady Archer thanks for you words of kindness I'm recovering its slow and I'm still a bit tired but ill live so again thanks mark c

17. Huntress

Huntress Member

I usually soak heads and paws the way you did but then (especially on large animals or African) I will put a wet rag on the inside of the head and sweat overnight in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. For a small animal like the bobcat you can use wet paper towel…make sure you have contact against the nose/lips and tuck some against each earbut and in each paw. It’s only after I have the head rehydrated that I sponge the rest of skin.

I get to the N.E. part of the state often (I’ll be moving there this fall) so if you still think there is something wrong with this skin let me know and I can stop and take a look at it for you.

18. ladyarcher726

it's that time again, gonna try once more with this bobcat. I bought fabric softener. How much to an ice cream pail of cold water, and do I add salt? Should I soak it and then sweat it overnight again?