1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Kind of Animal is This ?????

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BellaBordello, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

this would be my guess. since there actually a meat dog i would find it a common skin in asai.

Attached Files:

2. BellaBordello

BellaBordello New Member

similar, but def not a chow, im a dog groomer so i am very familiar with the coat of a chow, the only thing chow about this is the fluffy tail

3. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Like I said above, it's a dog breed specifically bred for fur and meat. Possibly some kind of chow mix, though not completely chow. Here's some full un-dyed pelts for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibingkalove/3642908424/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5228084447/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zen_traveler/5536528042/

4. BellaBordello

BellaBordello New Member

Yea, similar....im taking it to a taxidermist to check it out, im almost positive this is not a dye job, very stange

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

bella, you realize your asking taxidermists on here? thats what we are! so saying your just gonna bring it to a taxidermist is kind of a slap in the face.lol. good luck with it but light rail coyote is DEAD ON!!!!!!you already got your answer!!!lol.

6. One was up on ebay last night as a hyena.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The listing has been removed. I think it's really weird that this was posted this right after the ebay listing was taken down. I mean, in a coincidental way. I posted a similar post about the "hyena" pelt on Furhideandbone on livejournal last night. I'm glad I stumbled across this post too, because I had no idea the dyed dog thing was this common. D: I think it's really messed up.

To Bella, I'm agreeing with Light rail coyote.

7. BellaBordello

BellaBordello New Member

i realize you are taxidermists, but you also dont have the advantage of looking at the pelt like i can. i know what a solid dyed pelt looks like and i know what a pattern dyed pelt looks like, this is simply not dyed. like i said several times i wish all of you could look at is as closely as i can. no one has even addressed the longer hair down the spine, a substantial 2" longer

8. BellaBordello

BellaBordello New Member

wow that is a coincidence...i wonder if that pattern goes all the way to the root as well. doubt it.

9. BellaBordello

BellaBordello New Member

in comparrison with mine, i just have to say this pattern is just ridiculous and the fur is not like mine, in the sense that mine has 3" spine hair

10. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Just curious, how did you get that cat rug?

11. I only posted it because when I clicked this link, I assumed it was the "hyena". I was surprised when I was a different post. o_O

That "hyena" was just shorter furred. I can't confirm if the dye job went all the way down to the root, because it was gone by morning.

I still really believe you have a dog on your hands. Having longer fur on the back is a normal thing for dogs and cats. It's just the hackles of the animal. They raise them when they're excited or angry, usually to make them look bigger. That's why the fur is longer on the back of your pelt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4457487807/

There is a good example in this link.

12. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Regardless of your denial, it is what it is, and that's a dyed domestic dog. Nothing more to it. Case closed. Over and done with. :p

Know how I know? I've held those pelts in my hands. I've seen them with my own eyes. I can see by the photo that yours is no different and no more unique than any other dyed domestic dog skin. There are photos EXACTLY like yours on Chinese fur farm websites labeled as DOG.

You've got nothing unique, and any true taxidermist or wildlife enthusiast can see that.

We've all told you that it's a dog. If you don't believe that, that's your decision, but your willpower won't magically transform it into another species. ::)

As for that longer hair, it's a common occurrence among canids. Looks at the images on the Chinese fur farm website and you'll see that they're exactly the same; they've also got the ridge down the back. It's not so unique after all.

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

and thats a wrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Its a tiger ::)

[​IMG]

15. Next up real panda pelt!

[​IMG]

16. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Nice rug there - you do realize having that is illegal in your state and you could be in serious trouble if the law were to find out right?

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

its not really a mountain lion it just looks like one. its a dyed housecat!

18. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

actually I'm pretty sure it's a dyed hyena :D

19. greenarrow

greenarrow Member

ITS WHAT WE CALL IN THE DEEP SOUTH A CHUPACABRA!