1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Here's the latest!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Glen Conley, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Well, they're still holding me prisoner in the nursing home rehab. Just as I went to higher authorities, my doctor asked me if I was ready to go home. Just the past three or four months is all.

They can slow me down, but they can't stop me all together. I've included a couple of photos of one of the eight different poses of a 7 x 18 size that I have done of late. I've had to work in less than desireable conditions. I have seven work stands, but have done all the work with the sculpture in my lap. I use hard mediums, so it doesn't smash out all over the place.

To take the photos, I set the sculpture on end, snapped the shot, and then used the computer to turn the sculpture. It's probably off a few degrees. For the head shot, it was just laid on the blanket that was on the floor.

Now I did some bigger bucks before sculpting the 7's, so go easy on me. I had also done a line of does before that. I'm at the point of being half way confused over what I have done. I don't have my sculpts stored here, so it makes it harder for me to keep up with what I have done. I know I'm going to have to get some molds made so I can have this stuff put into production. If and when that point should be reached that the forms are self supporting, then I would farm out some, or all, of the mold making.

If I can get in the groove with mold making in the near future, we should be able to raise enough funds for the scholarship fund that would finance someone else. That'll be good!

Attached Files:

• 038.JPG
      038.JPG
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
  2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Glen, those look fantastic!!!!!! You are such an inspiration my friend!

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Glen, its good to see that ur still doing what you love to do regardless of your surroundings!

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Glen, what are you doing up at 2:30 in the morning? Night Shift? Those forms look nice. As far as going home....Man you have it made. Cooks, House keepers, back washers....You are living the good life! LOL Hugh Hefner hasn't got crap on you, dude.

5. boxerpet

boxerpet Harry Paulson-grateful

Glen,
    You are truly an inspiration to all of us. These past few years have been a true trial to you.
    I know how you feel, taxidermy and creating are good therapy for many of us.
    Keep recovering and know I pray for your complete recovery.

Harry

6. Glen Conley

I'm glad to see you like them, Mr. Michael. Trying to get a front end (sternum, upper arm, shoulder blade) that is going to look right with all the various variations in the small bucks was a bit of a challenge. They have to be a pen raised, the web has always had a number of photos of them, but there is a strain, genetic family, or subspecies of a (Texas) whitetail that has an extreme rotation on the shoulder blade causing the upper arm and front leg to sit out further in front of the animal. I don't think there is the first form out there that fits up the proportions of these. I "may" have that situation under control.

Ted, I think that's called hard headed.

Antlerman, things must be different in Illinois. I do get my laundry done, floors mopped, and meals fixed. However, I would ten times rather be fixing my own meals, plus I really miss all my own tools and equipment, but I am going to miss all the scenery that goes along with shift changes.

Harry, back at the time I did your dog's portrait, I could only lift my arms chest high. I just kept working at more pictures, and gradually kept gaining on movement of my arms.

Improvements have been made, three of us have teamed up together to put on a three day art exhibit at the end of this week. Along with forms, I've done forty something drawings this year.

A few days ago I was being interviewed in regards to my release. I had four people that were giving me forty tons of doo-doo as to what I couldn't do to take care of myself. I got to the point where I had been nice for too long, and then I told them, "I can do more, and accomplish more from my death bed than what you people could do if you had a year to work on it". You should have seen the looks on their faces, went right along with the stunned silence.

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

If you need help with making molds Give me a call, I have a friend who owns a firberglass fabshop. Glad to see your still doing what you love to do!

8. michael p.

I love your drawings Glen!! They line the top walls of my showroom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

9. Glen Conley

Thanks, Michael! What is your clients' reactions to your decorating style?

10. michael p.

They LOVE it! I have gotten more compliments on your drawings Glen! I tell them
    All your story and what an inspiration you are to many of us (which you truly are!) most are shocked when they walk in because it doesn't look like you "normal" taxidermy showroom.... it's more like a living room with Taxidermy mounts in it. Quite honestly I think my investment is really paying off :)

11. Good to hear from you Uncle Glen. Keep working on those forms. They look great.

Let me know if I can be of assistance when it's time to make molds. Maybe we can have a Mold Making weekend and bust a few out.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

They look great Glen! I to am happy to see you doing what you are passionate about, reguardless of the conditions. That is dedication right there! Keep it up and I look forward to trying the head up series when it's ready! Take care.

13. Glen Conley

Tazz, if you would, give that guy a call and see what his ballpark charge for a whitetail mold is. If I do farm out mold making, it will be awhile, and the truth of the matter is, I may already have someone lined up. We'll see.

Michael, back when I was a pup, I sold furniture at a retail level. One of the companies that I worked for had an absolutely huge building, built for the specific purpose, of selling furniture from 12' x 15' room size displays. Let me tell you, that was an effective way of selling. About anything associated with a particular furniture display sold also. You could be like one of those guys on the American Picker show.

Deer Nephew Doug, how in the devil are you putting out molds like that?

1/2" fiberglass and resin hand lay-up molds take a little bit of time. What kind of materials are you thinking in terms of using?

Mat, they've got me messed up on my mold making sequence now. I'll now probably be working back and forth between the 7"s, and 7 1/2"s. The bigger forms take quite a bit more time and material. I'll have some doe forms that will fit up to those Ohio deer also. I'm anxious to get them all done. I've only been waiting for two days past forever.

14. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Howdy Mr Glen!!

15. "Deer Nephew Doug, how in the devil are you putting out molds like that?

1/2" fiberglass and resin hand lay-up molds take a little bit of time. What kind of materials are you thinking in terms of using?"

I guess I am optimistic Unc.

16. Mason

Mason Active Member

You are deffinatley the Man, Mr. Glen!
    Keep on keepin on buddy!

Ron and Linda

17. Glen Conley

Deer Nephew Doug, you were giving me a major inferiority complex. It takes me a few hours to lay out the dam for the flange. Then I can start. My personal goal is to get a medium size mold done in two long days. I had to change a lot of materials to make that possibly possible. You don't want to know how long it took me when I was using vinyl ester.

Hey, RDA!

Howdy!

18. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Glenn the cost would depend on the resin type and construction. But hand layup is costly, chop is a different story!

19. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

One of these days Mr Glen I hope you get the opportunity to sculpt a mannikin for a big northern deer

20. Glen Conley

Let's go with polyester resin, and his choice of gel coat, and chop length.

"IF" this were to materialize, one would need to be done for a sample. For production, a realistic number needs to be known to produce with time and cost effectiveness. For example, two or three at once.

Flanges will be clamped as opposed to bolting, and their width shall be 1 3/4" to 2". Seam lines must be thin on finished product.