1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair slipping question on tanned capes

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bpplatt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bpplatt

bpplatt Member

I get my whitetail capes wet-tanned at a tannery (does a nice job). They have been real busy this year, and my capes have been behind (still shipping them to me). I have experienced slipping in a few of the capes, and have a couple of questions that I can use help with.

1. Should I continue to get wet-tanning done if the temps are in the 90's? (You know, sitting in a hot UPS truck for 2-3 days, etc...) Will this promote slipping?
    2. I measure them, then freeze the hide right away (until I get the supplies). Does the freeze/thaw process somehow damage the hair roots into slipping?
    3. How long can a wet-tanned cape be refrigerated before mounting without the risk of slipping?

Any help is appreciated!
    I take great care in prepping the hides, I want to be sure I am doing everything I can to insure minimal/no slipping of hair. I know the rest is up to the customer in how they cape/prep the hide before they bring it to me.
    Thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off you should be asking the tannery for their explanation on this not ours. We have no idea on what you or they are doing as far as what you call a wet tan (per say soaking wet or damp)
    If your freezing a hide that is soaking wet you can have a problem but I wet tan mine all the time and then freeze them with no problems but here again it's just damp.
    I've had my hides sit in the fridge for a week and never slipped.
    Your best bet is to call the tannery and see what's going on for if it's slipping from the ups and it's only yours then something is going on for you see this is going on from all tanneries and it seams they aren't having a problem. just a thought.

3. nitt

nitt Member

any damp hide if left in a refrigerator will eventually mold/rot so I wouldn't advise leaving them in a fridge for extended periods of time as far as the slipping problem yes the extreme temps can have an effect on them so tanneries will spray a wet tan with a stop rot so they are less susceptible but its never a guarantee then again no tan ever is is it?

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

They are probablly being shipped in plastic bags, then put in a box, are they not? Plastic bags, moisture, and a little heat, are a bad combination, during the summer months.

Ask your tannery to completely dry your capes before folding, bagging, and boxing, and your problem will stop.

Just rehydrate them yourself, in some warm water, with 1/4lb salt per gallon of water, then mount or freeze.

5. Rush

Rush New Member

Also ask if they can ship them out on a Monday so they get to u during the week and their not sitting in a werehouse or truck over the weekend and like oldshaver said ask if they would bag in paper insted of plastic.