1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mckeinzie/ WASCO buyout

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wooduck21767, Aug 8, 2011.

1. wooduck21767

wooduck21767 New Member

I got a supplier catalog in the mail today , in it was a letter that we all need to see . this is what it said . " WE would appreciate it if you would spread the word that WASCO is no longer supplying Bryan Eppley's Earliners ,Eyes, and Noses or any other Ohio Taxidermy Supply Products since the Mckenzie buyout . " This kind of treatment to the Small business man is creating a monopoly with the buying power that McKenzie has. This is the second supplier to our industry that has expressed these concerns this week. I do buy from Mckenzie at times they are a reputable company with good service and products . My concern is when they weaken other small companies in the industry and force them out of business what choices are we going to be left with .They seem to be doing to the taxidermy industry what wal-mart did to the small Maw and Paw type stores. This does cost us in the long run and the price is American jobs lost along with higher end cost to our end customers. This was not intended to be a head hunt against Mckenzie but a concern as to what can happen if we are not watching out for the true innovators to our industry. Please chime in and give me your personal opinions as we would all like to here them . Thanks.

2. Dude you are beating a dead horse. I'm gonna let you take the whip for a while because my arm is killing me. Good Luck.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    This site has been down this road before.

If you want to buy the Eppley products mentioned, then go straight to the source, Ohio Taxidermy Supply http://ohiotaxidermysupply.com/

I buy their products directly from them. You should also. Then you will keep the small guy in business.

It's not McKenzie putting them under, but more the attitude that if you can't buy from the big company, then where can you buy?

Buy your Eppley products direct form those innovators.

Innovation comes from the Taxidermists that create the items you're looking for. The McKenzie buy out is not going to "kill" innovation.

Innovation in this field comes via the individual. That ... and the sky is not falling. ;)

John.

4. Head Quarters Supply carries Eppley's products.

http://www.hqtaxidermy.com/

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Well, as McKenzie is carrying the line from Brad Eppley I don't see why they would carry stuff from Bryan Eppley as there is a history between the Eppley brothers (don't ask me the history, I've only heard the second hand scuttlebutt). I for one hope Brad brings out his own eyes to compete with the Tru Eye!

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I bought a muledeer, fallow, axis, whitetail and LS bobcat form from Jetz Taxidermy supply this week and 3 whitetail and an elk from McKenzie.....you see, I USED MY CHOICES!
    I tell you what WILL turn me off buying a supplier, is if the someone bashes their competition.
    I hear it all the time "so and so tannery is too big, such and such supplier is too big, XYO Taxidermy Studio is too large".......people, you you think they just $hit these big companies out? No, they built them! Every one of us has a chance to succeed. It is what we do with that chance that seperates the individual.

I will tell you this right now though....if I got a letter or notice from ANY supplier suggesting or implying that a company such as McKenzie, Research, Head Quarter's, Jetz, Archie Phillips, Dan Chase, Joe Coombs, Revelution, Jim Allred, Quality Taxidermy Supply, Matuska, Jonas, Hilton Eppley, Ohio Taxidermy Supply, Rinehart, Dixieland, Foster, Ellzey, 2nd 2 Nature or any other company was getting too big, their catalog would go immediately in the trash.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

In OTS defense it looks like the letter said THIS. Nothing wrong with that. They need to get the word to their customers so that they know they will need to order from the source.

Let's not attach the OP's added feelings to OTS.

8. michael p.

The way Ducky said it sure sounds different from the way Jim clarified it. Thank you Jim for bringing common sense into the situation :)

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

X2

10. I would personally like to apologize for that, THEY INFACT ARE CARRYING OUR PRODUCTS. We heard that they wouldn't be so I typed that up, and during the changeover we sent them out with our catalogs.

Then recently I got a call from McKenzie saying they would like to place an order and we have already sent the products out. So as it stands now they are carrying our full line. I was just trying to be prepared and after what I heard this was the only polite and ethical way to do it. We don't advertise so that option was out, and I feel like I have gotten a little wiser and I didn't want to get on here and post it because the last time I did it was taken the wrong way.

As for Ted, where's the love man? If we ever wronged you let me know so I can try to make it right because reading your post how you want brad to make tru eyes to compete with ours sounds like we really wronged you at some point.
    Why don't you call up McKenzie order our 360m, and its earbutts if you chose to use them, and Brads ear and his earbutts. Mount them up and let me know what you think as far as shape size and correctivness as it comepares the the deers cartilage. Hopefully everyone will be able to see the difference themselves.

11. michael p.

RUDY!

12. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

OOPS !!

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i don't believe the big guys hurt the small business man.....we have a local hardware store that is over 120 years old...within one block to the east is a home depot....one half mile to the west is a lowes....i have never been in the store without their being lines at the checkouts and tons of people throughout the store....people come because the way they are treated...all three stores carry the exact same product....shop the small guy and you will keep him in business

14. Yes I did jump the gun but you have to understand I was told that they weren't going to carry them. Also the letter was very friendly in my opinion and in no way should have been taken offensive as it wasn't. Jim put it up verbatim of what we typed so you can see for yourself it was very polite and friendly.

This is my last post on this thread and I hope all is cleared up now. I do want to say that they are carrying our products because of you guys and your requests into them. So keep up the requests please.

15. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I can tell you this for sure, OTS has service and products second to none. They bend over backwards to get you what you need when you need it.

You would think that a company the size of McKenzie wouldn't have to copy their competitors products, they have the resources to come up with their own.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

GEEZ, museum man, WILL YOU STOP THAT HORSECRAP. America is founded on capitalism. Henry Ford ran Stanley Steamer out of business and Edison sure knocked hell out of the lamp oil refineries. America is based on entrepreneurship and no ONE or no THING is going to stop the imaginations of entrepreneurs. Their choices remain to copyright/patent processes and either marketing independently or wholesaling it out. It doesn't "hurt" anything except to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The "small guy" fails simply because he's likely buying wholesale and trying to make a bigger profit than the retailer next door OR he's not buying enough wholesale for the wholesaler to give him a larger discount. The days of the corner hardware store have always been numbered. He can't maintain the stock that the larger firms do and with the advent of the internet, he can't hope to cope with the selections that are as close to your fingertips. I make a silly little, simple "TaxiTuk" tool. I tried buying the hardwood handles from the local hardware store . They wanted $1.35 for them. Lowes and Home Depot, when they carried them were in packs of two for $3.25. So I did some research and found the company that actually makes the damned things. I call them and they want $l.25 each for them UNLESS I buy 3 dozen or more at a time. If I do, they sell them to me for THIRTY FIVE CENTS EACH. Now you do the math. Anyway you cut it, that's American free market and just like the corner drugstore with a soda fountain, the "dime stores", the "seed and feed" stores, doctors making housecalls, the ice man and milk man, and the Ethan Allen furniture stores, attrition is a fact of life.

Dave, your remark was just about as dumb. Why would anyone invest resources and research on manufacturing a product "just as good" when they can buy in bulk wholesale for redistribution. I don't know what you think they'd "copied", but everything I buy from McKenzie either has their copyrighted name OR the sculptor/manufacturers on it. Personally, I like the 360 earliners better than the Eppley ones McKenzie sells and I can actually BUY THEM CHEAPER when I order them from Headquarters. Some of you guys must only have one catalog in your shop and live in a jug to make some of these dumbassed comments.

17. gab

gab Active Member

I don't think you guys that want to grow and be successful understand how important having a supplier that is dependable with great customer service can be.I get 100% accurate orders with next day turnaround and quantity discounts.My prices are set by what my expenses are,and the other suppliers,if they are less ,they are marginally so.
    I started doing this in 90 and i can remember my taxidermists standing around with their hands in their pockets 'cause the supply chain was so undependable,even when you tried to predict and allow for their slow service.

18. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Rudy, never said you wronged me, no worries there. I would just like to see Brad get back into the industry the way he was before. I met him several years ago when he and your dad had matrix masters. Brad is one of the best out there when it comes to replacement parts I think, just my .02

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'd rather see them (Rudy and Brad) work together and make some kickass products.

20. davehyer

davehyer New Member

The product I was refering to is there earliners, year before last they sold tru eyes and if I'm not mistaken the eppley ear liners as well. The next year they didn't, and the following year they have "their own" thats a duplicate of OTS ear liner.

Tru eyes and ear liners were probably the back bone of OTS for the last few years as they build their form line back up again. I think a company with endless resources could better spend their time and effort developing something like a good set of Elk and mule deer earliners, not an exact replica of an already good existing product that is the bread and butter of a small company.

Again George, this is just my opinion. If you don't agree, which I know you don't based on your previous comments, thats ok. I don't agree with some of your opinions, but i don't think your a dumbass because of it.