1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

AutoTanner Advice

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Don, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Don

Don New Member

Do most autotanner users just add the cape/skin into the unit GREEN? I have been salting my capes, washing/relaxing, then putting them into the tanner.
    Just wondering if I could skip the initial salting without running into problems.

Thanks for the Advise,

Don

2. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

Re: AutoTanner Advice

They go in green everything turned and fleshed of coarse

3. If you salt them, they must be completely rehydrated before going into the machine!
    They are not in there long enough to get rehydrated if they are at all dried!
    I have used mine on green capes for 10 years with no issues.

4. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Green a fleshed

5. Green here with the Arrowhead crystals!

Bruce

6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Crystals from Vandykes work just as well . And 1/2 the price. Or less.

7. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Has anyone figured out how/what to mix for the Chrystals ? or you are all buying them?

8. Don

Don New Member

Falco:

I mix 1lb of aluminum sulfhate with 1lb of salt and two gallons of water. This is good for 2 deer capes. It is the most cost effective tan I have found, with good results.

9. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

Re: AutoTanner Advice

You can run any pickle through the auto tanner. Safety acid, krowtann, just does it quicker

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I always salted the capes first, because I never used the crystals after the first bag, I thought the tans from the crystals were garbage, (still do) I used Lutan in the autotanner instead.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm getting an auto tanner. I was wondering if Lutan could be used or not. I tan everything with Lutan and I really like the results. Could you either post your process or send it to me in a PM?

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sure Bob. pm it is!

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Thank you bud.

14. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Hey,,, Could you please tell us why do you think Alum Tan is Garbage,? what do you see in Lutan that you dont see with Alum ?
    I have been using Alum, but Im always open for better results.
    Plus, if you use Lutan, Do you have to salt the capes first , or you can tan them raw , like Alum ?
    Thanks.

15. I use the same formula in my tanner, but consider it a pickle rather than a tan!
    Pickle, shave, then Trubond for tanning.