1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Many Studios are Behind part II

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fishhead990, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

You're preaching to the choir but I still say hallyuah!!!!

2. Harry Whitehead

I didn't spell that right but you know what I meant....LOL

3. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

One last group of photos before I address Harry's accusations.......

http://jwtaxidermy.blogspot.com/2011/08/life-size-mounts-from-days-gone-by.html

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

FIshead, you may as well give up and go to work bartending or something......George and Harry arent hiring you -Harry says you have ZERO chances now, all is lost.......And Im just a stupid idiot for ever being taken advantage of lol! ;) Never mind the 27,000 dermists out there that are NEVER here on taxi net.....

5. Harry Whitehead

Now RDA you know I was not referring to you as an idiot. I was hoping you wouldn't take it that way because I truely didn't mean it that way.

6. Years ago when I had the big shop in Phoenix at the end of each month I used to wonder how many graduation certificates we would have to print up for the guy's that were now ready to go out on their own after a couple of months of working for me. LOL

7. Harry Whitehead

fishhead, I haven't accused you of anything!!! ??? RDA, You're right!!! There are 27,000 dermists out there! Too bad 26,950 aren't big enough or have a desire to hire anybody. That leaves 50 and half of those have cynical owners leaving 25. Half of the 25 don't need part time help leaving 12.5. Half of the 12.5 aren't trust worthy leaving 6.25 and half of the 6.25 wouldn't trust a stranger coming into their shop and working for them leaving 3.125. Now 3.125 divided by 27,000=.0001157. That's close enough to zero for me!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
    I'm cracking myself up!!!!!

8. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

need any wholesale work done???? ;D

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My momma always told me that the bit dog howls first. I don't know how Ron and John make that jump but I suppose that "if the shoe fits, wear it". John, you came on here, not once but TWICE extolling your flowerchild dream and asking how we felt about it. Yet when TWO of us told you from OUR PERSPECTIVES, you immediately launch into a babbling tirade about how "negative" our responses were. Neither of us said you couldn't do it or even shouldn't do it, we only advised you about PERCEPTIONS. Ron came on with his "bad employer" scenario and it wasn't something I hadn't previously covered by guys operating shops on a hope and a prayer. As I said, if you want roses blown up your ass, I just never acquired an appetite for such closeness. I like to think of myself as a PROFESSIONAL and the idea of hiring illegal immigrants, wineos, hobos, and vagabonds just isn't appealing TO ME. I like to have a bit of "collateral" and a person with a solid foundation is more attractive to me. Obviously, I'm well beyond the age of worrying about such petty crap on either side NOW, but I wasn't always old.

Now Ron, let get this straight. YOU fired 20 people????? Working directly for YOU????? Hmmmm. gab says he was a slow learner,but I don't think even he was THAT slow.

10. Harry Whitehead

I don't know....what are you good at???? ;D

11. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

Yes Harry accusations!! You keep accusing me of being up to something though you don’t know what it is…and you wonder why I call you cynical?????? You’d rather get on here and run your mouth about something being nasty in the woodshed than wait and see what plays out….and you wonder why I call you cynical????? You don’t know me from Adam but you still believe it acceptable to accuse me of something you can’t even say what it is but by God there must be something wrong because it’s not how you would operate.
    Just because there are taxidermists out there that are out to create trouble for everyone they meet does not automatically place me in that category because you and a few others here don’t know who I am. I am quite certain you NEVER for even a second stopped to consider that I operated a studio for 8 years with as many as 10 employees (not a huge amount granted) and know exactly what is involved in running a taxidermy studio. After being $h!t on, abandoned, lied to, stolen from (customers, equipment, etc…) and generally abused in almost every way you described I decided that the life of extreme headaches and heartaches was not for me.

But wait there’s more….the prequel. I decided to have my own shop after going to work for ‘The Studio” way out there where people gamble in grocery stores and prostitutes are legal. That’s where I first found out that no matter what the showroom looks like and how glossy the printed ads are an employer can still $h!t on you just like anybody else. Damn maybe I should have stayed with a 10 year career in the defense industry building aircraft where I had the opportunity to get laid-off every other year while the boys in Washington argued over whether or not our country really needs an air defense!!!

I felt sure that an employer who treated his employees in a civil and honest manner would be met with the same…NOT!!!! But as you said to Ron I’m preaching to the choir.

After owning the shop I had an awful taste in my mouth for the whole business. Having been screwed in more ways than a young man can imagine…where’s the honesty? I could have just run out on all my clients and defaulted on the bank loans I had taken out to keep the business going but I didn’t. I spent nearly 3 years working from my garage, at first full-time and then part-time to make sure that ALL my clients were taken care of and ALL my bank loans were paid off.

I tried other things but unfortunately being a taxidermist is like being an alcoholic, once you are one you are one for life for better or for worse. DAMN IT!!! I think I’d rather be an alcoholic!!

Since the time I realized my taxidermist’s affliction I’ve been in 4 more studios, all but one either shorted me on pay or contained so much egotistical BS, or both that it wasn’t feasible to stay.

Hell Harry all I want to do is find a well-equipped work area within a financially stable studio and put out some taxidermy work that looks like the animal it’s supposed to. I don’t care to compete because I know what I can do and no judge or ribbon is going to make me feel any better about my work. A studio can still advertise their employee’s work these days without the employee having to have his name plastered all over it. I don’t have an ego for that kind of thing I just have confidence in what I can do for those who need some help.

So I had an idea!!!

Maybe, just maybe not everybody in the entire industry is crooked.
    There are lots of studios across the country that are behind schedule but can’t afford a full-time employee.
    I have the skills to do the work.
    How about we marry our needs and maybe I can find a place where I can trust the owner he can trust me and I can settle in and finish my career without worrying about being $h!t on AGAIN!!
    Is that enough of an explanation or do I need to have my preacher call you and tell you I’m not a killer too?

Yes there is a need to be cautious in ANY business transaction or relationship but why do you have to accuse me of being a crook when you don’t know me and most likely won’t ever be involved with me anyway?? I believe the men and women on this forum are for the most part adults and can make their own decisions. I am an adult and can make my own decisions.

Excuse me for trying to do something that you don’t agree with or for not starting the conversation the way you thought I should or whatever it is that makes you think I’m up to something. I guess from your point of view everybody but you and George are crooked or stupid anyway so all is lost because you guys won’t hire me…..boo hoo hoo hoo hoo……..

12. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

not much Harry....my white tails suck,,,but im good at giving whimsical artsy fartsy advice! :D

And George, YES I HIRED AND FIRED many...My department was exactly that,,MINE...Not to mention i was given the job of FINAL inspections of ALL pieces going out and the yey or ney was mine to call.. I was treated as a "golden child" there becuase i performed and endevored to persevere and improve. When I hired Jamie Outman, he was right off the street with ZERO knowledge...Prep people, finishers, assistants and habitat people were hired MOSTLY off the street....Ill let you figure it out from there.

13. gab

gab Active Member

this is all moot.in 15 yrs when he wants to retire,this industry will have changed drastically.either into alot of little shops trying to stay under the government radar or huge factories that can afford to pay insurance,benefits and meet government standards.i predict one of the biggest shops will be in the La grange tx area.

14. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

I think this is ALL an NTA plot to get HARRY and GEORGE all kumby-ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: MUUUWWWAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAooooeeeeee ;D ;) :D 8)

15. Harry Whitehead

RDA!!!!! YOU'RE KILLING ME!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishhead, let me read your novel and I'll get back to you.....

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Smartass...... LMAO

gab, that was likely the most prophetic statement that's ever been made on here. I think our "golden age" is wearing thin, both as a nation and us as an industry.

17. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

;D

Heres a TYPICAL scenario for me back when.. A Russian young man was recomended to us by a rich client. Mike asked me to interview him which i did and decided to hire him as a finisher trainee as he knew how to use an air brush and i was needing more folks. First day he shows up 45 minutes late, so i have a very freindly talk about procedures and requirements with him.. ::) At LUINCH,, he takes two hours,,,annnnndddd another talk with him. ::) I made SURE he understood and he agreed to it all...NEXT DAY,,,we started at 730 am, and he shows at 1145, and promptly tells me he has a "lunch date " and needs extra time...Yep, you know exactly what i said,,,,,TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU NEED,,, forever will do nicely and buh-bye...... ;D So when i say twenty, that may very well be on the light side....

That doesnt count those that had try outs and i didnt hire, and some of those broke my heart as one guy in particular wanted more than ANYTHING to work there- it was his dream, and i had to squash it for the good of the company. :-\ Some days i couldnt hardly wait for "tequilla thirty"...

18. Harry Whitehead

damn it!!!!! I had a response to fishhead typed out and my screen went blank. :p :p I've got to finish up this mallard mount and I'll be back.......

19. Harry Whitehead

Somethings wrong with this stupid computer so I'll make it short.
    fishhead, first of all you come on here like Goldie Locks and act like you're new to the game by asking is there any shops backed up. Then you lay out your plan and get upset when a couple of us tell you of the shortfalls that could arise out of such a venture. All the while you are an accomplished taxidermist with several years of experience. What were you expecting out of a prospective employer once he found you out. You threw up a false front and then got upset when a couple of us figured you out. I smelled a rat right off. How the hell could anybody trust you when you were facetious right out of the box. Damn Dude, I believe that I would have just said that I would like to work for somebody and showed your credentials and approached it from a different standpoint. You would have attracted a better or more "trust worthy" employer that way. I'm sorry that you have had a hard time in your previous business ventures but I fight the same thing every day and I've e become good at protecting what I have. That is why I have posted what I have. Same for George. He's seen a lot and demands some commitment form the people that work for him. There is no way on this earth that I would hire anybody like you. I'm a person that what you see is what you get. I don't get along with anyone outside of that box. I hate fakes. No wonder you've been screwed over, you act just like them.....

20. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I don't know. Maybe you guys are missing something here. I'm thinking about giving the guy a shot. At least willing to talk to his former employeer's.