1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Psycho's Travels..... and why taxinet works!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by psycho, Aug 12, 2011.

1. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

LOL Now that I got your attention I figured I would start this thread here. I started off leaving Illinois to go the Missouri Show. As usual it was a great success and a lot of fun. I had a seminar Friday and Saturday both were filled with great people and I am happy to say that I was VERY pleased by all those that were interested in reptiles. Friday I skinned a gator and began the tanning process for a friend Ron Farrell that I met here on taxi net as well. I would have met him last year at the show but he kept his mouth shut and never introduced himself to us and I guess our paths never really crossed because I never try to miss the opportunity to BS with some one. LOL Well we got Ron's gator all tanned up by Sunday and he was pumped up after seeing the seminar from Saturday when I mounted a Cayman, part of the croc family. This cool little dude was sent to me by Kansas' own Cindy Cunningham, one of the absolute nicest ladies you will ever meet. Cindy told me she had a surprise for me. Little did I know how big of a surprise it was. Cindy gave me a beautiful green tree snake and to top that off she gave me my very own live baby gator that I so appropriately named F O C K E R. Trust me the name matches his attitude. I had no idea that she was bringing me such a great gift. During the last few months prior to the show I had been communicating to Vicki Chritton Myers from Missouri because she had told me she had a pet gator. Needless to say Vicki and her boy showed up with a live 4 foot gator so people could take reference shots and play with him in my seminar. Gator boy was a big hit. As big as he was he was more tame than this little dude I have. She didn't even have to tape his mouth and he was walking around the seminar room not threatening a sole. I don't think he was fond of what I was doing to his relatives in my seminar though. :D Jimmy Lawrence, Cole Cruickshank and myself all shared a room and the funniest thing that happened this time had to be when Cole handed us our hotel bill receipts. Right on the receipt the hotel charged us an extra $10 for "alligator in room" charge. That was priceless and if I could I would scan it and post a pic of it for you. How many people do you know that have been charged an extra $10 for having a gator in their room. LOL Thanks to the Missouri Taxidermy Association, members and board for welcoming us out of staters as usual.

After the Missouri show I headed north to Wisconsin to Clint Rickey's shop. I first met Clint at the Iowa show this year. Many of you might not know Clint but I promise you will get to know his name in the industry. He's a very talented taxidermist and does great work. His family was super nice and they made me feel like we all knew each other for years. We had a great time and we mounted up some deer heads for about 5 days, spent hours gabbing about everything, and of course we took time out to feed the gator that has been traveling with me since the Missouri Show. Clint took me to the family farm to get some pictures because I always look like a tourist with a dang camera any more. Chris Ladd from Walnut Hollow came by to introduce himself and he gave me a $100 gift certificate. 8) Mike Frank (redoak) here on taxinet only lives about 45 minutes from Clint and Mike said we were going to a baseball game while I was in Wisconsin. Needless to say this was my first trip to Wisconsin and man did I enjoy it even though they all had the nerve to tell me I had an accent. LOL Well Mike drove to Clint's and picked me up and then he drove us all the way to Milwaukee to Miller Park to see the Brewers and the best tame in the world, The St. Louis Cardinals play each other. Of course the night we went the Cardinals WON! Mike didn't let me pay for my ticket, gas or freaking parking. We ran around and took tons of pictures and I even got video of them opening and closing the roof at Miller Park. Being a baseball fan I absolutely loved seeing a new ball park. What a thrill for someone that loves baseball. After the game Mike drove me all the way back to Clint's and then he turned around and went back home. That was a ton of driving. Heck it was 2 hours to Miller Park alone plus he had a 45 minute drive to get back home. When the weekend came Mike invited me to stay with him at his house. I got to meet the boss, no matter what Mike says. LOL We all went out to dinner and had a blast the first night. The next morning Mike and myself got in the car and he showed me a ton of his hunting property, a small critter farm with Elk, sheep, goats, whitetails ETC. and then made a B-Line for the Wisconsin Dells. WHAT A TREAT! The first thing we did when we got to the Dells was go to the Deer Park. WOW! :eek: A great friend and terrific teacher Bill Yox has always tried to beat it into my head to get to a deer pen. Now I see why. As taxidermist we miss the mark bad (with the exception of some of the Best in the World guys obviously) on whitetails and you really don't even realize it until you hold the real animal in your hands. After spending HOURS in the deer park and burning up 2 fully charged batteries in my digital camera and then confiscating Mike's extra battery, we headed around town to check out more sites when we saw a Reptile house. As soon as we saw it Mike whipped a u turn and took us back to the building. It was AWESOME! Big fat snakes, gators, turtles and some hefty lizards all under one roof. They had some 8 and 9 foot gators in a huge aquarium and for $4 you could feed them a rat. Somebody did it and it was amazing how quickly that rat disappeared. LOL After spending hours in the Reptile House and taking a ton of pictures of 2 headed snake and turtles we headed back to Mike's house. Did I mention I took 6 GB of pictures. The next morning I headed back to Missouri.

Finally arriving in Missouri, I arrived at Cole's house and shop. This isn't the first time me and Cole got together to mount some deer. Well Cole planned out a trip for us because he has gotten to know how deprived I am when it comes to fish. In Illinois where I fish we only have the usual, LM Bass, Crappie, Blue Gill, channel cat and bull heads. Well Cole today loaded all the gear and drove us 2 1/2 hours to Kansas to fish! He said he wanted to make sure I caught my first Walleye and Small Mouth. Well all I can say is, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I have seen Walleyes before but I have never caught one. I have never caught a small mouth nor have I ever seen one until today. Lets just say Cole is a hell of a guide and Clint Rickey provided us with some leeches that were put to use. I have never fished out of a bass boat before, just John boats, paddle boats and pontoon boats. So not only did I fish out of a real fishing boat today but I also caught my 1st Drum, 1st Walleye and my 1st Small Mouth. The Walleye is already in fillets and in the freezer. LOL Cole's dad told me I better not forget them because he knows where they are now. LOL The lake we went to in Kansas has slot limits and the smallies we caught, we thought were in the protected slot limit. Had we of checked the pamphlet we would have seen that they were keepers and didn't have to be thrown back. The smallie is such a beautiful fish! I could have paid a guy in Missouri that I know, who is a hell of a fish head, to replicated or skin mount the dude for me. It was a beautiful smallie even though he was tiny and only about 14 inches long. Did I happen to mention that Cole can slay the fish! My, he caught some fish! After spending half the day on the lake, Cole called up Cindy Cunningham and told her we were going to stop by her shop. Of course Cindy was her usual caring self today and invited us to come over to her school and shop to visit. Once there we were greeted with hugs and given quite the tour. She even showed me the little dude I mounted for her in my Missouri seminar. After visiting with Cindy me and Cole high tailed it back to his place. We went out to the shop and Cole fileted all the walleyes for me and man can that dude fillet a fish. :eek: So all in all this has been my adventure thus far and as you can see in the last 2 weeks I have been to many states and done a whole lot of things that may have not been possible if it wasn't for State Associations and TAXI NET!

When I finally make it home and get my computer straightened out I will try to post some pics. Guys and gals I hope after you read this that you realize how powerful taxi net and joining your state association can be for you and the opportunities that it can open for you if you take charge of your future.

2. Sounds like a fun trip Dan! You should have went northwest just a bit and came to my place. We could have went to a Twins game. ;D

Bruce

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hmmmmm, "the best team in the world" is 4 games behind the leader of THEIR DIVISION this morning.

4. psycho

I know, those pesky Brewers are actually playing some good ball this year. LOL

5. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sounds like a good time Dan. Hoping to make the missouri show next year if I get back from Alaska in time. Glad to hear sconi treated ya well and the brewers gave ya a win cuz you were in town haha. Hey that fish taxidermist might have been able to make your 14" smallie look like a monster. We've all seen what he can do with rocks, lol.

Me and Taint man leave in a lil bit here for our WTA rendevous. Just waiting for him to call after signing his life away this morning (marriage license) haha jk. Another great weekend of seminars from our state association. Dan knows what he is talking about. Get involved and you'll have a great time meeting people and bettering your taxidermy.

6. mike g

mike g Active Member

Taxidermy.net works and associations and members for that matter need to take advantage of it. I would have not gone to the places I have been or met the people I have met and learned better skills if it was not for this site!

Glad you had a great time on your adventure Dan, can't wait to see pictures.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

you suck

8. zubba

zubba Active Member

Sounds like your having an great trip Dan.

And go Brew Crew!!!

9. psycho

Just to clarify, I think this was the response to all those Brewers and Twins fans. ;D

10. antlerman

LOL Go Cards!!!!

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You need to balance your travels more...come to the deep south next time!

12. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

No need to hurry home, I'm not ready to leave yet! ;D :D :D

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ouch! LMAO! :)

14. antlerman

Yeah, I thought it was you coming in the back door, so I ran out the front. Saw Alabama license plates of a car with a brush guard on the front. Decided it wasn't you, but thought best I should leave anyway. Everything at home is fine. Stay gone as long as you want. Your friends have got you covered.

15. pureluck

pureluck Member

MO
    Since your working your way around the midwest Dan, stop by on the way home I have some trees that need trimmed and some need cut down. Just a stones throw off I-70. And I'll pay well......as it will get the boss off my back!

16. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Dang if you wanted to catch a walleye you were right next to the WI River and it's loaded with them!! Below the Dells or Sauk dam year round. They been getting nice ones down in Lake Wi too lately. Big saugers, though you can't keep many with the slot limit. But some of the biggest anywhere in the nation right now! Having some walleye tonight for supper myself!!

17. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    Dan get you a Gnome to take with you, have it signed just by the host each time see how many Gnomes you can collect.Just be sure they don't write on you,you would make a good one. Just kidding. wishing you well,hope you take it easy on your back. C Cain

18. psycho

HMMM? I had surgery in January so now I can walk and I stanf up taller too. ;D

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Dan...... you done good! :). Keep on keeping on :)

20. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

You made it home yet little buddy? I just crossed the Tennessee state line headed south!! ;D :D :D LOL