1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

crow question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ryanolson72, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

Is it legal to take a wild killed crow and donate it to a customer and then have them get it mounted. I have a "customer" that called me looking for such an item and I told him that unless he gets one and brings it in, no dice.

He stopped in today and said that he had called all around and an employee of a large taxidermy operation here in Michigan "gave" him a bird and that they were mounting it for him.... is this legal?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Ryan, this is the exact reason why they should change the laws on crows (and other birds IMO). Though it sounds legal, it may not be.
    It makes sense that as long as he is only paying for the taxidermist to mount the bird, F&G could probably make a big stink of it. I would say if he had the bird gifted to him it would be legal. But because of the catch 22 BS, you never know.

3. ryanolson72

thats kind of what I thought, I mean if I shoot a mallard and mount them up you can't sell them but can someone jsut pay for the taxidermy?

4. Dreamwing

Dreamwing New Member

Stay away from doing this. If someone else shoots the crow and gives the crow as a gift to the customer and you except money to mount it you will be OK, but this falls under the "I'm not selling the mount just the base and habitat and throwing the duck in for free" area that has gotten taxidermists in trouble before. This would still meet the legal criteria of sell,barter,trade-not tring to start a long thread here but if you call the US Fish and Wildlife Service they would tell you the same thing. The bird would have to come from a third party that did not receive any compensation to be a true gift.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Like I said "catch 22 BS" :D

6. Dreamwing

Dreamwing New Member

I guess you could call it "catch 22" but I could shoot, mount and sell all the birds I wanted to for "only the taxidermy fee" if it was set up that way. Since there is no set national standard price to mount a bird, any price could be charged. Not looking to interject to much opinion here, just looking to answer Ryan's question the way I read the law.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I wasn't arguing. I was agreeing. ;)

catch-22
    Noun: A dilemma from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions

8. Dreamwing

Dreamwing New Member

Ya-No offence taken redwolf, just explaining what I meant by the first post. Were on the the same page.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sorry Bob, it's not a Catch 22. It's patently against the law. You cannot "trade, barter, or sell" any migratory and protected species. A few years back I went directly to the USFWS in DC and got a reading that was posted on the old forums. If you take a bird yourself and "gift" it to someone else, that must be the end of your involvement. If you "gift" it to someone with the intentions of profiting from the gift, then you have "bartered" the bird in return for services rendered. The only way two people keep a secret is for one of them to be dead. SOMEONE may report that and then you become guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. Fines are from $10,000 up to $100,000 (according to species) and up to one year in jail. Now if you think a crow is worth that chance, then go for it.

As far as the law being "bogus", I also disagree. It's VALID and though it makes no sense to most people, it's on the books just like not using a gun that holds over 3 shells when hunting waterfowl. So work on changing the law, not deciding if it's"bogus" or not.

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I must be the only one who actually read the definition of "catch 22" ::)

I never said it was "bogus" ???

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No Bob. I know what a Catch 22 is. It just doesn't apply. There's no conflict in the law. It's quite explicit. You cannot "trade, barter or sell" protected migratory birds. It is what it is, it ain't what it ain't. Don't make it something it isn't.

12. ryanolson72

Thanks this is very interesting. I can't imagine that a shop of this size would go about business this way.... Very interesting. Cutting throats again for a little business.:.... I sure hope he enjoys his 90 day turnaround......