1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new .. need guidance and critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tfrenzel, Aug 12, 2011.

1. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    I am a fishing guide down in Branson MO. I was an art major back in college but liked to fish a little more than I should have. Anyways I have done a couple reproductions in the past but I am contemplating starting up a little side business. I don't want to do fish taxidermy but just reproductions.. (at least for now) I try to promote catch and release with reproductions as an
    alternative to skin mounts with my fishing clients. Anyways here is a pic of my 2nd largemouth reproduction. (partially finished)

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    The picture is from my phone . I promise to post some better ones from my Nikon ASAP.

Thank You all
    Hopefully my pic posts

Attached Files:

2. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting a few more than a couple repros under your belt before you start that business. Nothing wrong with skin mounts either. Good luck.

3. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    My thoughts were being a guide with a lot of down time in the winter I could do this as a part time job. Being a wildlife artist I have many of the tools necessary and a LOT of reference materials. I have found that doing a repro and a canvas painting are amazingly similar except for the fact that the airbrush can speed me along a little. Im not looking to get into the taxidermy game as I would defeat promotion of catch and release of the trophy fish in my guide business. Not looking to make a living but offer a quality memory to some of our fisherman mastering a new medium.

4. Manny

Manny New Member

The time you put into your guide service I'm sure was many years.
    I'm sure you want the best for every client you take out.

Wouldn't you want that for your clients fish, the best possible?
    Are you ready to put more countless hours away from the company of your family trying to master an art that only comes with lots and lots of time and experience ?

I see your wanting to make a little more money in your down time but I would wait until you get more than the basics down. In order to give your customers the best possibly quality.

And there Will be the few who want there fish skin on the wall.

Good luck in your new adventure!

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Defiantly get more experience before you hang out that " open for business shingle"
    A bit to green for me, the color transition near the tail needs work
    Spot pattern looks fairly good at the mid section but went south the closer you got to the tail

Just my 2 cents

Good luck in your venture

6. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Truth of the matter, its better then what a lot of fulltimers put out.. you need to look at your reference a bit closer. Nothing wrong with pushing reproductions if that is what you promote anyhow. You will just get some that think skin mounts are holy around here so have thick skin on. I would practice on a few more but you show great ability imo

7. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

looks pretty damn good for your second one

8. Joey Arender

looking at it on my computer... The main spotting is to harsh, as Clew said when you got to tail section you kinda got wacky but I have seen a fish in a BPS tank that is close to that at the tail...its just not the norm ??? . The green looks OK to me, but the Yellow looks blotchy and heavy..I don't see any of the dark tippings below the main markings. Did you tip the scales above the lateral line? Fin rays aren't defined enough, I I struggle with that. the top of the head looks to dark to me and I cant tell where your top cheek bar starts, or ends..you did good not running the middle bar through the bone but it looks like you started it just a bit low. It should start just off of the eye and kinda at the bottom corner..I miss on that too. Kbauman on here, has some great light colored reference photos that show markings well. Your secondary markings look more natural then the main markings...however, it looks like you just placed them. Look at reference on them... they have a rhythm if you can figure it out. The opercle looks painted completely different then the rest of the fish..and IMO the worst spot on the fish, behind the fins, and blotchy yellow.. The soft tissue around the maxillary and pre maxillary, as well as the maxillary itself needs better attention. and watch that flesh color on the branchiostegal rays and in front of the pectoral fins its kinda heavy as well and misplaced .... but as I said, I see far worse from some full-timers, so go for it... just tune it up first.

9. No the main spotting is not to harsh, I have seen hundreds of bass with lines right down the side like that, hence the name Ole Linesides used here in the Ozarks. The onlu thing is I would highlight the line with a sceonf colot but that photo could be better.

I would say the fins rays are fine, not over painted like many do. I would mottle the line where it fades onto the tail. I have seen some Ozark area largemouth have the line fade out onto the tail.

Take some pics of the local fish, you will see what I am talking about on the bass below the landing on taneycomo. Up on TR and see them too.

There is a lot of good in the fish you posted, just look at the colors on the wild fish. BPZS seems to have went to the aligator gar theme in SGF. But look at what you catch and single out areas of the fish to photograph.

10. Joey Arender

yeah harsh was the wrong word... but they lack definition IMO but there is a lot of good there

11. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    I still need to do my detail south of the main line. I'm just half done.. thanks guys.. ill take more pics after I paint an hour or so tonight. A lot of what I was looking for! Thank you a lot.. I realize a was glancing at my reference and not giving it a calculated look. If that makes sense?

12. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

These are all opinions, don't take any of them out of context. Someone once jumped my butt for being to honest. I think for your second repro it looks much better than many can do.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

13. old guy

old guy Member

WELL HERE'S MY REPLY,,,AND I TRY TO STAY OFF THE FORUM AND KEEP TO MYSELF,,,BUT I CAN'T RESIST THIS ONE. WELL ,,ARE YOU A GUIDE???? ARE YOU GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO???? HAVE YOU PERFECTED YOUR DROP SHOT METHOD ,,YOUR PLASTIC BAIT??? TOP NOTCH TOPWATER METHODS??? TROLLING??? BAIT METHODS??? ARE YOU GOOD OR JUST SO=SO IN THE GUIDE BUSINESS??? IF YOU ARE TOP-NOTCH AND VERY PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR PRIMARY JOB,,,WHY WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR CLIENTS A PRODUCT THAT I CAN SEE IS DATED TO ABOUT THE 70'S,,,IT IS AVERAGE OR SO,,,WHY,,,WHY,,GET THE EDUCATION OR GIVE YOUR FISH TO THE MOST TALENTED TAXI IN YOUR AREA,,,THAT IS HOW YOU GET A NAME,,,,NOT A CHEAP FLIPPIN PRICE PLUS A GUIDE TRIP,,,DON'T TRASH YOUR NAME TO BE AVERAGE,,,SET YOUR NAME HIGHER,,,YOU DEMAND QUALITY FOR YOUR CLIENTS ,,,AND DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS,,THAT WILL GET YOUR NAME,,,,GOOD LUCK,,,

14. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    Re: Re: new .. need guidance and critique

Wow..well give an example of your ever professional and so helpful critique .. can u give me example of what is so horrible? The 70's? How about a pic of some of your far superior artwork? And for everyone else's sake lay off the caps..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    I do get a kick out of being average compared to professionals when this is my 2nd largemouth though.. just imagine where ill be by my 4th

Lol

16. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

It looks really nice in my opinion from a picture (pics can be decieving). I have seen and judged lots of fish in my day and it imeets or exceeds the norm that I see being done by taxidermists. I ? the pink color in front of the pectoral fin and can suggest to be carefull of the dark overspray on the spiny dorsal base. You mentioned you still need to detail the bottom 1/3 and it looks like it does need more work but I think you did good. We as taxidermists never get to the point were we say "I am there - perfection" so I say go ahead and do a few fish for your interested clients. Be very carefull and price your work correctly-----too many taxidermists underprice the job. I think you will do fine. Your clients can do far worse than having someone like you (someone with passion about fish replicas) prepare their trophy fish.

Good luck with your fledgling business.

17. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

I think you should spend some money educating yourself (class or DVD) on reproduction finishing until you know that you are doing an adequate job. And then, try to be a bit less preachy regarding catch-and-release. There is not a damn thing wrong with keeping some trophy fish.

18. wishbone

wishbone New Member

i think its a sweet paint job!

19. tfrenzel

tfrenzel New Member

mo
    Re: Re: new .. need guidance and critique

I did slip a little with that fleshtone..in front of the pec fin.
    I am not trying to put anyone out of business here and it is the clients choice afterall if they want to keep fish. I just Have a passion for art ( wildlife art) and thought I could extend this into a side business that would make a few $$ for the time that I spend anyways doing my art.

I really do appreciate all of the help and criticism. I can't better my work without it. Same as a painting in a gallery. You learn more by sitting and listening to everyone critique.

Ill try to get this thing finished in the next few days and repost complete with some gloss and wood.

Best way to get better is to do more

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. Nothing wrong with hanging your shingle now.
    Show your clients what you can do, and the "market" will decide weather you are good enough.
    Here in the deepest of south, that fish is actually quite a bit better than the "norm"...unfinished and as is.
    I suggest checking out some videos and attend the seminars your state association puts on. You have great talent, just need a little polish is all.
    Ron