1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dry tanning need help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by rebel, Apr 4, 2007.

1. rebel

rebel New Member

I need Help. Had a customer come to me today with a deer hide that was already dry tanned. So i rehydrate it by soaking it in water for three hours, that is what i was told to do by my tannery. Now however it is ripping. What do I need to do.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I don't know what tannery you work with but they are wrong. A dry tanned hide get a twenty minute soak in water with 4 oz. of salt per gallon and I also add a bit of Downey fabric softener to it. The softener makes the water wetter and helps in hydrating the skin.
    After the soak of twenty minutes, you drain it and then place it in a bag and then put it in a fridge over night. Usually within 18-24 hours the cape is hydrated enough to be able to work on.
    Now with your hide, it sounds like it's no good. Many things could have happened to this. Do you know how long the client had the hide in his possion before he decided to get it mounted? Sometimes hides that are left in the elements of the home can cause problems to hides that are just dry tanned. In time heat can destroy the hide by letting oils etc out of it. This can cause you what you have. A bad tan that wasn't neutralized the right way can also cause you, your problem. I doubt if soaking it for three hours did anything to cause this problem. It would have cause slippage the least but not make the skin rip which is a good sign of acid rot. A poorly tanned hide or prolonged exposer to the elements.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

acid rot - get a new cape - i had a client buy a tanned mt lion from a well known tannery - the thing ripped like tissue paper