1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

open mouth "wet" look

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mimes, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mimes

mimes Member

I have been wondering if any taxis out there are using a spray gloss to get a "wet" look to their open mouth predators.....bobcats, foxes, etc. Talking the mouth cup itself, not the fur. I had a judge mention it to me one time, but have never tried it on a commercial mount.

2. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

A good spray gloss is the fastest easiest way to get a wet look on an open mouth mount. What have you been using?

3. mimes

mimes Member

I have not trying anything yet.......just leaving it gloss free. I was wanting to know if most taxis do or do not gloss and what they use.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

envirotex 2 part epoxy mix a small amount and apply with small paintbrush.......dries clear,thick,and super glossy

5. Triple thick glaze from krylon works for me

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Same as Byrdman.

7. Same as Suprdave. Krylon triple thick works great...

8. Re: Re: open mouth "wet" look

Modge podge for me

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

One of the problems here is there is a difference between being shiny and looking wet. Saliva is much thicker than spray gloss and it's not necessarily clear. It will sometimes have bubbles and a foamy look also, so just spraying a coat of gloss might not give you the effect you want. I would say to experiment with different methods and find the one you like the most.

10. nitt

nitt Member

I definately would paint it on instead of spray but I have used mod podge n fintastick like the look of the later