1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold in the shop

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mike g, Aug 18, 2011.

1. mike g

mike g Active Member

Taxidermist friend of mine is having a huge Mold problem in his shop and can not figure it out. You can take a freshly tanned cape and mount it and with in two days it starts to mold (the mount is under a bag to dry slower). The Mold is black and takes the mount over fast but nothing else in the shop shows signs of Mold. I have had my comp mounts under a bag for weeks with out getting even a musty smell but he can't go 48-72 hours before Mold starts to grow.

He just moved into this building earlier this summer and didn't have this issue at the other location. The shop is clean and not damp or wet and shows no signs of mold anywhere. Any idea's as to what to tell him to change, look for or check???

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Tell him to put a dehumidifier in.

3. I had that problem in a cinder block building. everything would mold. I guess it was in the walls etc.

4. Any chance the shop had water damage and has mold in the walls?

Bruce

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

If he has a cinder block basement tell him to seal it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2380080302P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM3460728902

6. mike g

mike g Active Member

No basement, it is a metal sided building on a concrete slab that is finished off on the inside.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

The walls aren't the problem then. It's the floor. I really think if he seals the floor and runs a dehumidifier it would help.

8. You can still have mold in the walls. The inside is finsihed which means water could have got into the walls/insulation with mold growing there.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yes, it would be in the walls, but it wouldn't be going through the metal like it would through the concrete floor. If he seals the floor it would stop it from coming in and the dehumidifier would help draw any moisture out from anywhere else. You have to start somewhere. lol

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Certain water, clay, and even other taxidermy products will mold regardless.

11. mike g

mike g Active Member

The water in his place stinks to high heaven when you turn a faucet on so that was my guess but he don't think so. My second guess would be the homemade hide paste brew could be molding under the skin and as the moisture from the paste evaporates it's causing the mold to grow.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree in the fact that a de-humidifier wouldn't hurt. It is weird that you are not getting mold anywhere else though. Does a wet tanned cape in a bag mold if it is sitting out in the room?

13. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Have your buddy Google "streptomyces" and do some homework.

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Putting capes on while they are still soaking wet, and using a "home made hide paste brew" if it's water based in a basement can also add to his problems. If that's the case, it has nothing to do with his basement :D

15. mike g

mike g Active Member

Its a concrete slab Morton Building (no basement). The soaking wet capes is a problem and I know nothing about his hide paste or whats in it LOL just that he says it costs under 50 bucks to make 10 gallons. I just never heard of mold growing that fast on a freshly tanned cape before.

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Oh, my bad. :p Meds are kickin my ass. :D

17. Huntress

Huntress Member

I would start with a good shop cleaning. Get a gallon of bleach and use it to wipe down all the hard surfaces…workbench, tools, floor, sink, buckets etc. Anything that can’t be cleaned with bleach could be replaced…new batch of hide paste (mixed in a clean bucket), new block of clay, replace all the plastic he uses to wrap the mounts and replace or bleach any shop towels.
    Is he tanning in-house? Tanning solution could be contaminated or the containers…buckets, tubs, auto tanner.

18. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Dont think it would be the home brew, cause he didnt have the problem in the other location. Unless he changed the formula or something. Could be the stinky water he is using at the new location. Maybe try a water filter of some kind( if he even uses it in his home brew formula) Definately a dehumidifier!

19. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm

20. Maybe he should get that water tested!

Bruce