1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold in the shop

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mike g, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. mike g

    mike g Active Member

    Taxidermist friend of mine is having a huge Mold problem in his shop and can not figure it out. You can take a freshly tanned cape and mount it and with in two days it starts to mold (the mount is under a bag to dry slower). The Mold is black and takes the mount over fast but nothing else in the shop shows signs of Mold. I have had my comp mounts under a bag for weeks with out getting even a musty smell but he can't go 48-72 hours before Mold starts to grow.

    He just moved into this building earlier this summer and didn't have this issue at the other location. The shop is clean and not damp or wet and shows no signs of mold anywhere. Any idea's as to what to tell him to change, look for or check???
     
  2. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    Tell him to put a dehumidifier in.
     

  3. I had that problem in a cinder block building. everything would mold. I guess it was in the walls etc.
     
  4. Any chance the shop had water damage and has mold in the walls?

    Bruce
     
  5. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    If he has a cinder block basement tell him to seal it.

    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2380080302P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM3460728902
     
  6. mike g

    mike g Active Member

    No basement, it is a metal sided building on a concrete slab that is finished off on the inside.
     
  7. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    The walls aren't the problem then. It's the floor. I really think if he seals the floor and runs a dehumidifier it would help.
     
  8. You can still have mold in the walls. The inside is finsihed which means water could have got into the walls/insulation with mold growing there.
     
  9. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    Yes, it would be in the walls, but it wouldn't be going through the metal like it would through the concrete floor. If he seals the floor it would stop it from coming in and the dehumidifier would help draw any moisture out from anywhere else. You have to start somewhere. lol
     
  10. Bill Yox

    Bill Yox Well-Known Member

    Certain water, clay, and even other taxidermy products will mold regardless.
     
  11. mike g

    mike g Active Member

    The water in his place stinks to high heaven when you turn a faucet on so that was my guess but he don't think so. My second guess would be the homemade hide paste brew could be molding under the skin and as the moisture from the paste evaporates it's causing the mold to grow.
     
  12. Matt

    Matt Active Member

    10,837
    2
    I agree in the fact that a de-humidifier wouldn't hurt. It is weird that you are not getting mold anywhere else though. Does a wet tanned cape in a bag mold if it is sitting out in the room?
     
  13. Glen Conley

    Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

    2,518
    1
    Have your buddy Google "streptomyces" and do some homework.
     
  14. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    Putting capes on while they are still soaking wet, and using a "home made hide paste brew" if it's water based in a basement can also add to his problems. If that's the case, it has nothing to do with his basement :D
     
  15. mike g

    mike g Active Member

    Its a concrete slab Morton Building (no basement). The soaking wet capes is a problem and I know nothing about his hide paste or whats in it LOL just that he says it costs under 50 bucks to make 10 gallons. I just never heard of mold growing that fast on a freshly tanned cape before.
     
  16. redwolf

    redwolf Active Member

    Oh, my bad. :p Meds are kickin my ass. :D
     
  17. Huntress

    Huntress Member

    155
    0
    I would start with a good shop cleaning. Get a gallon of bleach and use it to wipe down all the hard surfaces…workbench, tools, floor, sink, buckets etc. Anything that can’t be cleaned with bleach could be replaced…new batch of hide paste (mixed in a clean bucket), new block of clay, replace all the plastic he uses to wrap the mounts and replace or bleach any shop towels.
    Is he tanning in-house? Tanning solution could be contaminated or the containers…buckets, tubs, auto tanner.
     
  18. bmdakk

    bmdakk Report to moderator


    Dont think it would be the home brew, cause he didnt have the problem in the other location. Unless he changed the formula or something. Could be the stinky water he is using at the new location. Maybe try a water filter of some kind( if he even uses it in his home brew formula) Definately a dehumidifier!
     
  19. Justin P.

    Justin P. Active Member

    2,632
    1
    http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm
     
  20. Maybe he should get that water tested!

    Bruce