1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

paint colors for black bear?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Sashakittythegreat, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Sashakittythegreat

Sashakittythegreat Beginner Taxidermist(2 mounts down)

I mounted up my bear and I am going to use oil paints intead of an airbrush because at the moment I cant afford an air compressor, but I got an airbrush.
    here is pics of the bear: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,272255.msg1886229.html#msg1886229

so Im wondering what brand and colors I should find, and if I need anything other than the paints and a brush, I also know I need to use water-based paint :)

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You plan to use oil paints, and you need to use water based paints? Am I missing something?

3. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Do you have a neighbor or friend that has an air compressor that would let you borrow it? That would be better than painting with a brush.

4. Sashakittythegreat

I was told by someone to use water based oil paints

Nope :/

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm not sure there is such a thing as water based oil paint. There are water soluble oil paints, but I believe they are still oil based. (just a different kind of oil)

eddieb has a tutorial on finishing with oils. It's a must read for anyone looking to finish something with oil paints. Michelle, you should check it out too, it may change your feelings on painting with a brush.

6. Sashakittythegreat

wow, thanks cole, so is there any specific brand you would recommend?

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I've never used any water soluble oils, so I wouldn't know what to recommend.

8. Sashakittythegreat

alright :)

9. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

http://www.winsornewton.com/index.aspx

That brand was recommended to me for deer :) Hobby Lobby carries them, maybe Micheal's (haven't checked-live an hour away :D)

10. Sashakittythegreat

oh cool the art store don the street carries them, thanks anna