1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone Tanned Africans with Alum/Auto Tanner?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by falco, Aug 18, 2011.

1. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Just wondering if we get a good result from rehydrating salted african capes and tan them the way we do raw capes with Alum in the auto tanner ?
    Any tips ?
    Cheers.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tips? Yes. Send them out to a professional tannery.

3. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Agree,
    But I bet you wouldnt say this if you were living up here in Canada.
    I would love to send them out to Tanneries, but how about 18 months wait time and then you hear that it hasnt been touched yet ::)
    So there.
    Thats why I need to do them myself.
    Thanks for the tip though :D

4. George

Falco, there has to be more than one tannery in Canada. I'd find it.

5. falco give me a call i can hook you up with a guy that doesnt take that long and he does lots of African stuff. 403-874-0880

6. falco

falco Trapping is fun

George, There are lots of Tannery, but the best of them I have spoken to , told me 12 months at least for africans and now its 18 months and they havent touched it,, I talked to another one in Winnipeg and siad 18 months minimum. They take about 4 months to send you back your Bear which is their regular work,, leave alone the rest.
    if everything was 4-5 months I wouldnt care as I wouldnt start the job anyways.
    and then I talked to Fur Dresseers in Montana, they said 45 days,,, the difference is unbelievable .

1Hella, I will give you buz, thanks.

7. George

Pretty obvious how spoiled American taxidermists are. Sorry to hear that Falco.

8. Don

Don New Member

Call my buddy Ashley Fequet {15146945630}. He is in Pointe Claire Quebec. He will get the stuff done in 3 weeks if you need it ASAP.
    Great guy, and you will have no worries about the quality or turn-around time. He has been working in the tannery business 30+ years.

Later,

Don

9. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Falco I have done african in my pressure tanner with great results! The only hides i send out are bears for wall hanger and rugs,and flat hides

10. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Hey Tazzymoto,,, thanks, thats good to know, Did you use any commercial relaxing solution or you just rehydrate them in soapy water ? and also you used Alum tanning chrystal , right ?
    Cheers

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I used Rittle's relaxer and aluminumsulphate

12. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I agree with Hudson, and want to elaborate a little more on what he stated.

First off, alum wont go any lower than 3.0 on the pH scale. This alone, is going to make African a problem to shave, because you wont be able to add a surfactant to this solution, because the pH will rise too high, and you will lose epidermis.

African is difficult to fully rehydrate in a rehydration bath, and will often require the addition of a surfactant degrease, to the pickle, to speed things up. Using alum for the pickle, is a bad choice, for african.

You will HAVE TO use seperate steps. Rehydration bath, in a static tank, then to pickle(with a real acid) in your AT. Then seperate bath using the aluminum sulphate as the tannage.

In my opinion, those old ways of using alum for a pickle and tan, are WAY outdated, and those type of procedures are really a half-a55ed way of doing things.

Falco, I am not ragging on you personally, but, I just think that if you move away from that old method, and take the time to do a multi-step procedure, you will notice a BIG difference in stretch, and ease of mounting!

To answer your origional question, yes, it can be done on probablly everything hartebeeste size, and smaller, with proper techniques.