1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Post!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ManHunterUSMC, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ManHunterUSMC

ManHunterUSMC New Member

So there aren't a lot of Gambel's Quail bodies and heads. I'm going to be making a few Christmas gifts. And I'm looking for heads and bodies that that will fit. I'm thinking, Valley Quail body with a Chukar head... Anyone have any ideas that could help?

2. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Call any supplier that sells bird bodies and give them the dimensions. Make sure you tell them it's for a quail. I know Savides has at least three different quail bodies for different size birds. Wrapping and carving is a good alternative.
    I'm pretty sure Tony Finazzo has at least one artificial quail head. But, it isn't too difficult to use the real head.

Welcome to posting on Taxinet!

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I can't see any possible advantage to using a cast head on a quail. Use the real thing.
    As for a body ... Gambels and Valleys are pretty much the same, but there are still large and small ones, depending on their age, sex, genetics and whatever. I would suggest that you buy the smallest quail form that you can locate. I say that because I don't think that ANY of the suppliers make a form that fits the southern bobwhites (which can be tiny) and the next size up should be about right.

4. ManHunterUSMC

ManHunterUSMC New Member

I was thinking I could easily reshape it or add some cotton to it.

So when it comes to using the original skull, Other than the brain matter toung esophagus and eyes is there any special place I would need to stick a pin?