1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Extending the LipLine

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jcompton, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

The last deer I mounted had ALOT of skin to tuck at the corners more than any I have done in the past,what do you do when this is the case? Extend the lip line, or bunch it up and tuck it, I realize that after fleshing and shaving the lips that they are going to be somewhat longer,just wondering what some of yall do in this situation.
    it was a McKenzie form.

2. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

I trim the skin back a little and tuck it, you can work the wrinkles out. I've never had any problems doing it this way.

3. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Don't extend the lip line. Some are too long already. It will fit but you have to compress the skin over the line and tuck it in how you have laid out over the manikin. If it helps tuck in the corners and the front first then fit the rest of the skin in between. Don't leave a lot of heavy lip skin attach. Shave them thin and trim them back. You need just enough to hold them in place.

4. Kevin Mac

Kevin Mac New Member

Another suggestion that you could do is put a little extra hide paste under the chin to help take some of the hide away from the lips. I would not make the mouth any bigger but I would make the corners of the mouth a little bigger than usual just to get a little more lip tucked into the corners. Good luck
    Kevin Mac

5. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

Yeah I tuck the corners and the front first also and work the rest in.

6. RStanton

RStanton New Member

You're not tucking the skin correctly. Try enlarging the area at the rear corner of the mouth in addition to the previous suggestions, and make sure the hair patterns line up.

7. cht

cht New Member

I tuck the upper front corner then the back corner, then work my way from front to back, watch the skin you'll know if you need to gather more the closer you git to the back. Do the same thing on the lower lip .Remember the skin will shrink as it dries. work wrinkles out as it dries.