1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the going rate on swans?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pyeager1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Had some guys call the other day saying they were going on a "paid" swan hunt somewhere in the NE this season. Largest I've ever mounted were Canadian geese, so what do you guys normally charge for flying or standing swans? Thanks, PY

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Yeager I get 350.00 for a swan. They are huge and the necks can be a pain...DC

3. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

$650

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have gone up to $800, mostly because all I get is those early season pinfeathery monsters. Argh!

5. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I have been charging $700 and it isn't enough. I'm going to $795 this year. I charge the same for any pose. Wings are harder on flying birds, but standing birds require more work to make them stable. Canadas are a walk in the park compared to a swan. You have to spend a lot of time cleaning the skin and getting it white again from blood/mud stains. I soak mine in mineral spirits and it still takes a couple hours to get the feathers dried with a pet blow dryer. Mounting them is a big pain...big wires, long neck, long wings, etc.

6. stuffr2

stuffr2 Member

$1000.00 here, and sometimes that isn't enough. Happy to say that I only do 1-2 per year now.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

725.00 was last season on them, but went up with them this season. I agree on the early season ones, those would be most of what I do!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

$750 and HOPE they take it someplace else.

9. jataxidermy

jataxidermy New Member

so you can say any where from 650 to 850 avg. Im at 675 but im new to this area in NC and tring to gain clients but will be going up later because of the amount of work involved in mounting a 747

10. $650. They are a pain, mostly in trying to keep them white through the mounting process.

Bobby

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Remember going cheaper to attract clients simply attracts cheap customers.

12. Kuzky3

Kuzky3 New Member

MN
    Here we going again with your walmart theories. We all have to start somewhere, no one is gonna pay the new guy the same amount as the guy whos' got 30+ years of experience.

13. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

All depends...how good is your work (really)? How time profencient do you work ? Do you need the extra work? DO you want to mount one just to say you did?

I charge 600.00 but Tennessee isn't known for being the swan meca so I could charge a dollar to 1000 and it wouldn't change how many are brought in from local clients. You can pretty much almost double the time it takes to do a decent size goose....they are FAT and BIG. If you aren't a good/great bird taxi then I would pass because you would be getting into something over your head. IMO

Now about charging cheaper will only bring in cheaper clients.............600.00 + ain't "cheap" so I seriously doubt you would be flooded with "tire kickers".

14. jlf

jlf New Member

Swans are a pain in the a$$, but they bring good money. I charge $1200 and usually take in 2 or 3 a year.

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

A**** I cant agree with you on this particular job. Swans are not just big geese for example, or the same business plan as getting in 100 deer instead of 50. Swans are usually mounted by just the better bird guys, and those not well versed in swans are better suited to either decline the job, refer it, or at the VERY LEAST, charge enough to get through it correctly. You goof up a "practice" swan and youll have a red hot customer to help your spoiling rep. Nobody is going to pay the new guy for a swan...until the new guy gains some experience before doing the first client swan...then he is no longer a new guy.