1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please judge my first.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Birds4life, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

I new at this, but asking for some input on my first mallard. I also posted some head mounts I did for a friend. Let me know, I need to improve, I really love this taxidermy stuff, and the forum is awesome.

2. Well if that your first,that look great,better than mine,the other two duck
    look neat,that something different, ;D

3. they look good to me... I really like the head mounts - very creative

J

4. Teamwildwings

Teamwildwings New Member

First that is way better then my first. I see a few things that I might be able to help you with. Make sure that your down is completely dry and fluffy. Second your tertials need to be up against the back. Let me know if you have any questions [email protected] Great job, practice makes perfect.

Great job,
    Cody
    Team Wild Wings

5. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    Nice mounts! Only thing that stands out to me would be the eyes on the Teal. Greenwing's have darker eyes, very dark brown as opposed to orange. Still, good job! I love the mount the heads are on!

6. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

Thank you all for the input.

7. wings look back to far. nice job on the other parts

8. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

All tips so far sound good, one other is to pay more attention to the anatomy of flight. Im not saying a duck cant or wont breifly put his head up that far but it just looks unnatural. A bird when flying wants to be as airodynamic as possible during flight therefore his head would be much straighter. Next you could taxi the skin forward a bit so his neck dosent look to long when its out straight. Look at refernce photos in flight. This bird to me looks like he just got shot or shot at. If these are your first, well done. Also brings wings in.

9. I am about to post my first too, Mallard. Soon as I can figure out the camera and posting procedure. I agree with you the forum is a great for those of us that are intensely intrested in taxidermy. your mounts are very good. I would maybe tone down the mallards bill abit, maybe try to add some other subtle color a touch of black accent?

10. big al

big al Guest

Looks nice for your first.

11. Scotto

Scotto New Member

Gotta agree here. Move the wings a little forward next time. Still awesome for your first attempt! Better than my first.

12. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Just listen to these guys here and they will help a lot , great job on the mallard and the heads.

13. the more you do it the better you will get just let me know if i can give you a couple prcatice birds. Tim