1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Habitat combination-what do you think?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Sikk, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Sikk

Sikk Member

Here is a recent mount. Real cedar,custom cast rocks, dyed dried moss, art. icicles and snow and ice, oh real mink. ok- I want some real artistic critique here. How did I do with color, form, and is it complimentary to the mink pose or is it too much? paul

Attached Files:

• mink.jpg
      mink.jpg
      File size:
      100.1 KB
      Views:
  2. I really like it, but personally, I would put it on another wooden base that has a dark stain to it to compliment the fur. I would make that base 1/3" the thickness of the existing base. Just to make things clear, using the same base, but putting a smaller base under that one that is thinner, and sticks out approx 1/2" all around. A nice contrast. IMO

Nice work

3. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I agree with Ross...a DARK base would definitely compliment the colors better maybe even a black one. One thing that really stands out it the green of the moss. In a winter scene I would have stuck with all browns. Green and snow just doesn't look right....yes it can be seen in nature BUT Brown just says winter to me.....and yes this is me being picky. That beng said I would be proud of the mount as is.

4. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Too much snow IMO, X2 on the darker base

5. Sikk

Sikk Member

yeah I really struggled with the base, I had walnut under it first, but that hid the black tip of the tail and really muddied up the contrast between the cedar and the moss.plus the snow contrast was too much. I will stick with the green moss, as where I collect it it stays mostly green all winter, just dormant. another species of the moss is yellow- green , but again that stays yellow during the summer as well. thanks for your input, we will see what the customer thinks.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I think this is what Ross is suggesting:

Attached Files:

7. Sikk

Sikk Member

oh, misunderstood, yeah that would add a nice contrast to the base, I will stick a piece of walnut or maybe stained ash under it and see what that looks like, thanks guys appreciate the input, paul

8. Yes, what Cole did up really looks nice. But that's my opinion.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree, I like it better too and it would be relatively easy to do.

10. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

That definitely makes it "POP".............

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

The mink looks good, I wish I could see where that other back foot is! Anyways, the wood base does need to be dark, the green moss is perfectly fine, moss here in michigan will sometimes stay green all winter long and whose to say it could be a first snowfall of the season which would be when moss is still green. The icicles suggest a warm day previously to the snowfall. Speaking of the icicles, lose them, get rid of them, they are not properly made so they dont look right. They are also in the wrong places, I'm not quite sure that iciles would even form on that stump from the way it is laying. And even if they did, it makes the presentation too busy, I would take them out. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

12. ???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwohlers/4499440651/

13. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Wind can do strange things to icicles, but I would still take them out.

14. Sikk

Sikk Member

yeah , I hear you on the ice, but it actually started to curl after it was attached to the habitat. THey are made the way I was taught, a mono line dipped in resin , over and over, and then finished on the mount. I think the heat from the resin caused it to curl on the tip as it dried.
    If you would care to explain another method I am all ears, as this way is too time consuming. I would like to mold them , so maybe I could sculpt some and mold and cast them? just not sure my sculpting skill can do it justice. paul

15. Carrot carving, or clay sculpting...........latex mold, and cast

16. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Very nice job, well done.

17. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

idk if its natural for icicles to form on wood like that, even though ice can form on branches and trees, when snow melts its usually absorbed by the porous wood instead of forming any icicles longer than say a couple of inches? right? i mean ive never recalled seeing any noticeably long icicles ever attached to green or rotting wood.... just a thought, please correct me if im wrong... great work regardless, customers gonna love it

18. Brian

Brian Active Member

not a fan of the ice or snow. i agree to darken the base aswell. mink looks nice though!

19. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I guess it will be displayed inside a case? Dust will play a role in the way it looks years down the road. I agree with others that the ice should go. The seasons 'first frost' really looks nice, I like the light color of the base.

20. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Composition is very good. At first, my eye goes off to the right in the direction the mink is looking. But, then your eyes want to follow down the mink to the tail and the driftwood brings your eye back into the display and over to the left. Creating a visual "circle" of interest. Again, it's very good composition. I think the snow and the ice look pretty good. I don't know if they'd form like that or not, but I like it. Yes, the base is a problem. And a HUGE problem at this point. Adding a darker base underneathe it helps but, very little. Here, you have the whole scene very natural looking and then all of a sudden you have a contrasting, unfinished man-made looking base. I don't know if there's anything you can do at this point to fix it. Perhaps scraping off as much snow as possible, staining the panel darker until you have the right color. And then adding the snow again. If you're worried about losing the dark tail here you can always plop some snow on the base at that point in-between the tail. Again, it may not be feasible at this point. But, the base really detracts from an otherwise beautiful flowing piece...