1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

every taxidermist needs some of these

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ljones, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

i cant believe i haven't got some of these freezer alarms before now, emits a beeping sound and flashing light when the temp goes above 15 degrees, costs about $10 each , sure is some cheap insurance and peace of mind . it took a freezer going out and losing a bunch of extra deer capes for me to get them :mad:

[​IMG]

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Hey Jones.....it seems we don't buy them till AFTER we have a major disaster....
    Glad your insurance paid off, it helps don't it..... ;D

3. I got the same kind. I wish they stuck better to the freezer though. I ended super gluing mine to the freezer. I was going to use Bondo but then I read somewhere that it is not an adhesive. ;D

Bruce

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Definitely go with the Bondo. It will stick a helluva lot better than the super glue will.

5. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Great idea, where do you get those..?
    Are you using the same kind of bondo as what you use to attach a buffalo head to the wall when your out of bolts??
    Do you need to add chop to that?

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I knew there was a since of humor in there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I have alarms that look just like that on all of my freezers. I got mine from Jim Allred and they were the best $10 each that I ever spent. ;)

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually Jerry I wasn't. Bondo will stick them to paint much better. Superglue is finicky about what it sticks and plastic to paint ain't one of those. So if those were my only two choices, I'd take the Bondo.

9. Double sided tape the thick foam stuff for gluing auto trim on! Works great

10. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

2" coarse thread drywall screw

11. ljones

just be sure you dont hit the cooling coils with those screws or the freezer done for ;D ;D

12. Seriously? I use 6" lag bolts. lol

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Double sided tape failed after a while too. You guys are overthinking things. I got tired of re-taping the things and started to think what would be a better/easier solution? The wire is plenty long - you really don't want the thermometer part buried in your freezer anyway. You pretty much want it near the top. Soooo, you have all this excess wire. And why does it have to be attached to the freezer? It doesn't. I have a shelf above each of my freezers and I simply run the on/off switch thing around the bracket holding the shelf a few times and let the on/off switch hang by the wire off the shelf bracket. It's not that heavy so no worries about the weight pulling the wires out. If you don't have anything to wrap it around just hammer a nail in the wall above your freezer and wrap the wire around the nail a few times and let it hang. Problem solved...

14. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

The instructions that came with mine said to make sure the probe was near the bottom of the freezer. ???

15. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

do they make them for freezers that are in a different area. Mine have alarms, but the freezers are too far away for me to hear them if the alarm goes off.

16. ljones

they do make wireless alarms , don't know what kind of range they have though

17. FishArt

I could have sworn mine said near the top. I don't think either location matters actually when you think about it. The middle would be the last to thaw so you don't want it in the middle. The edges or outside portions will thaw first. Since cold air falls I would think that the bottom would be second to thaw after the top. Although, IF anything thawed enough and leaked that would get the bottom stuff first. BUT, I would think the alarm would go off long before that. The top SHOULD be the first to thaw. My thoughts are having it below a fish or two near the top also lessons the possibility that the probe would get damaged by all the weight. Again, I could have sworn it said near the top, but I could be mistaken. And again, I don't think it matters all that much as long as the probe is not in the middle. Another benefit of having it closer to the top is you have a longer cord and can then hang it like I instructed...

18. ljones

i just pull the probe out and let it hang outside the freezer , when i am looking for something and let the alarm go off that way i know it working . when i find what i am looking for just toss the probe back in the freezer and it will reset and go silent in about 2 minutes

19. FishArt

Yep. I do the same - I thought I was the only paranoid one - lol! And, another reason to keep it closer to the top. Although, if I'm in the freezer for awhile I may shut the alarm off for awhile but I always remember to turn it back on later - otherwise it defeats the purpose - loL!

20. the best solution would be to buy an Eskimo, strap him in the freezer, give him a phone and get him to call you if it gets warmer ;)