1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cayman

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Mizikov, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Hey guys!
    Advice on dressing crocodiles.
    Skinned and cleaned.
    What should pickel - I do not know, have never had affairs with reptiles.

Attached Files:

2. lakejessup

lakejessup New Member

wow that is really cool dont know if the gator vid would help out on this or not.

3. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

We have only sold the tanning agent - Reptile Tan.
    Or can do the usual tanning to mammals?

4. redwolf

redwolf New Member

You can use just about any tan on it.

5. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

I sprinkled salt on the skin, folded and put in that position for the night. Skin does not deteriorate from this?

6. redwolf

redwolf New Member

It should be fine salted, but freezing would be better IMO. If you salt it and it dries hard, you'll have to rehydrate it.

7. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Better go hide in the rinse water and put in the freezer?
    I would like to put skin in the morning in the tanning agent.

8. redwolf

redwolf New Member

If you have a pickle on hand you can rinse it off just put it in now.

9. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Thanks, Redwolf.
    How much time should be kept in the pickle?
    There Pickel - 20 grams Muravina acid, 70 grams of salt, 1 liter of water

10. redwolf

redwolf New Member

To be honest with you, I don't know what Muravina acid is. But a typical pickle calls for 48 to 72 hours on something that size (judging by the spoon :D )

11. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Maybe I misunderstood. But in the pickle for two days, can soften teeth. Maybe you mean that we have to put skin in the tanning agent?

12. redwolf

redwolf New Member

I guess it depends on what tan your using but with most tans the skins have to be pickled first. 2 days is good on something that size. Yes it will soften the teeth but you can fix that after the mount has dried.

13. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Understood.
    Thanks again!

14. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Good luck.

15. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Just wanted to chime in real quick. Just saw this. You have him CLEANED VERY WELL! Thats fantastic you did a great job so far. No matter what acid you are using with as clean as you have this guy you need to have your pickle at about 1.0 After 24 hours in the pickle pull him and do any detail fleshing that might still be needed. Put him back in the pickle for 24 hours. If you pull him out of the pickle in 48 hours I will bet that he will be pickled thoroughly and be ready to be neutralized and put into a submersible tan or oiled. He appears to be small so I am guessing he is only about 4 feet from the picture. If so then I think you will be perfectly fine after 2 days of pickling. If you leave him in more than that his teeth will soften more than normal and will be very hard to get back to looking normal. I would recommend pre drilling through his plates before sewing him up to mount him. Any questions feel free to ask. I just mounted one like that a couple of weeks ago and he was a very cool critter. Good Luck, Dan

16. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

Long crocodile of 3 feet. The client ordered a rug from this guy. Still, I decided to make a plastic dummy, having removed the silicone form. I think later there will be questions on the color.
    If you have pictures of eyes (close up), I would like to see here.
    Sergei.

Attached Files:

17. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Dummy? Now we're talkin. I'm your man ;D

18. psycho

Well I can tell ya from what I see you are doing a bang up job on that dude. I will look for some pics for you.

19. psycho

Here is an eye from what I believe is the exact same species. I took this picture just a few weeks ago. Hope it helps. Look forward to seeing pics when you are done. Dan

[​IMG]

20. Mizikov

Mizikov New Member

ОК. Thanks Dan!