1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wet drum tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DRW, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DRW

DRW New Member

hello all,
    i am thinking about building a wet drum for tanning my deer hides. i uses 5 gallon buckets right now. so i guess i have a few question. i know their is a pressure tanner, but some say pressure or vacuum doesn't do anything in tanning. I know wet drum are used to tan hides and for the pickle. so here are my question.

how long does it take to pickle and tan a deer in a wet drum (not a auto tanner) ?

for the past 3 years i pressure wash my hides with great out come before they go in the pickle and they are always clean and white when i put them in the pickle. how do you know when the hide is tanned all the way ? is it by the look,feel,color texture ?

for those that use the auto tanner or wet drums. what run times are you running the drum for pickle and tanning ?

what is a good pickle and tan to use in the drum ?

thanks
    drw

2. Hard question to answer, a lot depends on your formula's and methods now, you can change a lot with a wet drum. You'll still know if the skins pickle when you shave it, just like doing it static, the wet drum doesn't change the look of anthing. Depending on how much you run the drum, you can expect to cut your times roughly in half.

3. DRW

DRW New Member

could i run the wet drum for lets say 2 hours for the pickle then shave, then two more to tan just like the pressure tanner( with no air pressure) using a good pickle and lutan. i do taxidermy on the weekend and after work. i just trying to think how i can get more work done on the weekend. if i have to buy a pressure tanner a will , but 3,000 is allot of money if you don't need air pressure to tan a deer in about 4 hours. i think i read on here someone did a test on this and the air pressure was not needed
    in the pressure tanner. If i read it wrong then please let me know.

thanks again

4. No, 2 hours is way too quick, just like in the pressure tanner, a deer skin won't even be close to being pickled that soon.

All that pressure does is help seal the door shut. Even with a wet wheel you need to basically figure on a week to get your skin properly pickled, shaved, degreased if needed, and tanned. I would just figure on starting a batch one weekend and finishing it the next.

5. DRW

DRW New Member

ok, thanks for the info.that is what i do now. you said i could cut my time in half by using a wet drum. what part will be cut in half ? i use a 5 gallon bucket now and it takes me a week. If i build a wet drum ,it is still going to take me a week ?

6. dozier

dozier New Member

pickle in wet drum 24 hours shave drum another 24 neutralize tan .

7. DRW, your time constaints are because of your work schedule aren't they? Yiuo cuold do them a little faster if you were able to work on your skins everyday.

8. DRW

DRW New Member

9. VSP

VSP New Member

I know this post is over 10 years old but as I'm reading through some of these wet drum posts I'm wondering if a smaller cement mixer would work as a wet drum?
    What is your opinion?

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes many have used them with great success

Tanglewood Taxidermy and VSP like this.