1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by bigern26, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bigern26

bigern26 New Member

Here is my first Finished(almost) mount. its a coon that I bout from a member on here a couple years ago.
    The eyes are a little wrong, I know. But it dried before I could fix it. So it is what it is.
    I am happy with it and hopefully I will do better on the next one, a lifesize mink.

I am glad to tell you all that I am hooked. I love creating nature just hope i get better :) :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

I'm a newbie too so I can't put in any critiquing but it looks pretty good to me for a first time. I'd like to do a coon also, working on a squirrel now. Good job keep it up

3. If the hind was tanned properly you could rehydrate it around the eyes and redo them

keep up the good work and have fun

4. bigern26

bigern26 New Member

Thanks Guys!!!!

I am not worried about fixing this one. Its my first and I am happy with it.

:)

5. bigern26

bigern26 New Member

300+ views and 2 comments?

You all know your comments are welcome.........even if it looks like crap :)

6. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

did u use the brian harness form from WASCO, im just finishing one up now on that one...

7. phoenixx

phoenixx New Member

I think it's great for a first mount! :D

8. I think it looks good for your first one. You can see that the whole face is twisted a bit with the coons left eye being lower. It's possible the eye set on the form wasn't symetrical or maybe you just got it too low. Keep at it and learn from every one you do!

Brice

9. blueridgemountn

blueridgemountn New Member

im just now getting into it and i think it looks real good.... didnt notice any flaws until mentioned .... keep up the good work

10. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Are those roach clips in your ashtray?

11. bigern26

bigern26 New Member

Lol I was waiting for someone to see them.
    No it is a candle wick cutter, My fiancee is a candle freak

12. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Coon looks good, I like the branch you used.

13. bigern26

bigern26 New Member

Well Yeah but I got it from a different site.

14. Lol I dont know if I'm buying that story with a lighter next to it and they are in the ashtray. I'm leaning with roach clip myself :). Nice coon mount btw. Looks pretty good

15. beamerball3o

beamerball3o New Member

I like the sticks i havent seen any with that as a base congrats on your first mount looks good other than what has already been mentioned

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

not really a terrible first attempt......face looks a little cocked, eye detail could be a little better...ear placement is not all that bad....just keep trying to tweek the little things....they are what makes a mount pop