1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carp Mounting Help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, Aug 27, 2011.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I caught a common carp the other day on a crankbait. It was like 20 inches so I figured I'd bring it home to try to do a skin mount on. I feel sure I can skin mount it, all but the head. Is it possible to skin mount the head with the way the mouth and all is? Or should I cast the head? And any painting tips would be great. Thanks!

2. cast the head..

3. Cast it x2 ...much easier...

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Casting probably better, You certainly can rebuild, a lot of shrinkage, though, but it's not impossible.

5. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

I have mounted a few back some years ago and found using the real head to be only a slight challenge. I did them closed mouth just watch and readjust the mouth as it dries. I cut, fin glued and painted turkey feather quills for the barbs. Use the section of quill right where it transitions from thick to thin on the rump feathers.

6. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Heres a carp I did recently. The guy wanted the spear left in the head. But I dont have much experience with casting so I used the original head. I had to rebuild basically everywhere but this is how it came out.
    [​IMG]

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

That looks great sdrenth! Thanks everyone for the help.

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

cast that head.....make sure its slime free and some what dry....you will pick up more detail....i cast the head right on the fish...no distortion that way....

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

7-point in that message i forgot to tell you to remove the barbells(wiskers)...you can make them , then add and sculp then over after the head is cast

10. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks CrabCrazy, I'll give it a shot.

11. I would cast a head but have used the real one back in the days. It's been over 20 years since I have mounted one.