1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to make a white or piebald squirrel

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rob317, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Rob317

Rob317 New Member

I have a customer that wants a white or piebald squirrel from a normal colored grey squirrel. I have heard previously that you can bleach hair but not fur. I don't want to take the time to mount one then waste it if it doesn't turn out, any suggestions?
    OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Not trying to be a smartass, but tell him if he wants a white or piebald squirrel he'll have to hunt hard and long for it. I've blackened a replacement tail for a black squirrel before with hair coloring. Let us know what you come up with. I'd love to be able to make white squirrels to sell!

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Agreed! If the guy wants a white Squirrel, he has to go out and kill one. Bleaching fur usually creates more problems with frizzling, almost burning of the fur, and the end results are not a nice albino looking animal. It's really not worth the effort. Remember, if it doesn't turn out "just right" it's your name and reputation on the line. If he threatens to go elsewhere to get it done, show him the door ... you don't need him.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

get a white rat and fashion tail from a deer tail.....makes a passable one up on the wall..otherwise yeah buy one........I have paid 100.00 for them

5. LordRusty

Ohio
    A Rat and a Squirrel are not interchangeable! Where in the hell do you come up with this crap? If you were joking, then say so. Otherwise, just stick to birds.

6. byrdman

john apparentlly you know nothing about repo work......study the works of bill munns......

7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

I thought squirrells were tree rats. LOL

8. LordRusty

Ohio
    I know plenty about repro work! I met Bill years ago at the World show in '88.

Rats have naked, furless ears ... Squirrels do not. Rats have naked paws and feet ... Squirrels do not. Rats have long, narrow muzzles, Squirrels do not. A Rats body is built for a basically terrestrial existence ... Squirrels are more arboreal and are built for such an existence.

You have given more uninformed misinformation in this mammal section than I can shake a stick at, but this one tears it, and that's why I chimed in. Like I said ... stick to birds. ;)

9. byrdman

Rob if you want the challenge it can be done.....squirrels have slightly longer toes so you just need to tuck back feet under a little...eyes need to be enlarged slightlly too....ears can be airbrushed....hardest part is making the tail......white tail deer tail will work for this....john just because you "met" someone does not mean you know how to do the work....sometimes you need to open your mind and close your pie-hole...this guy is looking for help...not your negative, as allways ,opinions...stick to your photography

Attached Files:

10. byrdman

werent you just telling someone how to fix his wolf using parts of other animals like your ocelot?and he did ask "how to make albino or...."

11. kaleb writch

kaleb writch New Member

I agree with everyone else, if he wants one bad enough he will hunt harder for it. But I actually have a solid white squirrel in the freezer, frozen whole and will be willing to part ways with it bc I do not have the time for it like I was hoping. Let me know if you are interested.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

There ya go. A little just for men and your all set ;D

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    No. I explained it could be done using parts from other WOLVES ... but you wouldn't know about that would you birdbrain? Hell, you obviously cannot even read a post correctly! I used the Ocelot as an old example. A Rat is still not a Squirrel. And I do so much more than photography. I said it before and I'll say it again ... stick with your birds. Your mammal knowledge is poor and ignorant at best ... and your advice is asinine at worst.

I'll add one more fact to my list ... White Squirrel fur is much thicker and fluffier than the fur of a White Rat. And again ... they look nothing alike. Not to someone who actually knows the difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Come to think of it, the person wasn't even addressing making a replacement/Frankenstein creation. The question was asked if he could bleach a normal colored Gray Squirrel to make a white or piebald. It went south when you - in your infinite stupidity - suggested using a white Rat and a frigging Deer tail! He wasn't looking to make a reproduction ... he asked about bleaching a Gray Squirrel to white, and two suggestions were offered up for his client to shoot a white Squirrel. Then you opened your bung hole and spewed fourth your bilge sludge.

In the end, I'll most likely forget more than you will ever know ... maybe not ... because you'll never know as much. Remember ... I am a "know-it-all" as so many here have labeled me.

I'd like to see one of your Frankenstein creations ... you seem to insist so vehemently it can be done ... then show everyone how! C'mon ... you're the expert! Show everyone how to turn a Rat into a Squirrel. If nothing else, it'll be good for a laugh ... maybe not!

Bob ... isn't Just For Men used for getting the white hairs ... out? ;) ;D

14. byrdman

the great john blow-lucci has spoken.....what an A**

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

John, cmon. Enough already.

16. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

LOL! :D :D :D :D

17. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

i got a white squirrel in the freezer 8) seen as i'm a bird guy 8) he will lay there for a while ;D ;D ;D 8)

18. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i want to see that rat - squirrel transformation finished product...i won't believe it until i see it

19. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I"m just asking the question as I have never turned anything into a piebald that wasn't one already.

But, does anyone think the effect could be airbrushed in ?

a little white paint in the airbrush, airbrush some spotting through the face and down into the shoulders.

doesn't have to be pure white after the painting, most piebalds aren't pure white. (as in, if you look closely there's some regular color hair mixed in the white in the piebald animal.) I understand there are exceptions, but the piebald deer that I have studied have some brown hair in the white areas as well as white.

Again, I'm just throwing this out there as a suggestion. I'd charge heavily for the work if it was me.
    If I could get someone to pay me well to make one, I think I'd be one piebald spot painting son of gun. Take the money and run.

20. byrdman

you can go a lifetime and never see one.....no matter how hard you hunt........except in a town or park..........last resort may be to make a repo.......