1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tutorial: How to Add a Photo to a Post

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

I have answered several specific questions from members wanting help with adding photos to their messages. I though it was about time we explained the complete procedure from start to finish in a comprehensive step-by-step manner.

In order for a photo to show up on a web page or in a message post, the graphic file must be located on a computer that has a permanent connection to the World Wide Web. In other words, the file must be hosted by a web server. The photo must have its own unique URL which points directly to the graphic file. (A URL is simply the complete web address. For instance, the URL for the banner at the top of this page is http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/Themes/TaxiNet/images/ForumHead.gif. If you click on this link, you will see the Taxidermy.Net banner open up in a new browser window.) Every graphic on every web page, right down to the smallest smiley, has its own unique URL address.

Choose a Method: "Attach" or "Insert"

It is important to understand that there are TWO different ways you can add a photo to a post. Each way has its own advantages and disadvantages.

One way is to use the "Attach" function to upload a photo from your computer to the Taxidermy Net server.

The other way is to use the "Insert Image" [ IMG ] function to display a photo hosted elsewhere on the World Wide Web.

The "Attach" function allows you to upload your photo directly from your computer over your internet connection. While convenient, the "Attach" photo function has some limitations. If you upload your photos to the Forum using the "Attach" function, they can only go at the end of your post and you are limited to three attachments with a limited file size. The maximum file size of a single attachment is 128 KB, which may be less than the file sizes of your original photos. The maximum total file size for up to three attachments in any post is 192 KB. So if you attach three photos, they need to be less than 64 KB each.

You can tell if a photo in a post is an attachment, by the paper clip icon at the bottom followed by a caption similar to this: "SamplePhoto.jpg (47.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 171 times.)"

To use the "Insert Image" [ IMG ] function, your photo files must first be located on another website. You can host your photos on your own website (if you have one), or you can choose to host them on one of the free photo hosting services such as www.photobucket.com. If you set up a free account with photobucket.com, you can also use their tools for image editing and resizing. Once your photos are hosted on another web site, you may use as many photos as you like in your post, without worrying about maximum file size limitations. Another advantage to using the [ IMG ] command is that you can place the photos throughout your post wherever you like, not just at the end of the post. When hosting your photos elsewhere, file sizes are not limited and images can be displayed up to 800 pixels wide.

Therefore, if you are serious about posting photos to the Forum, you will probably want to set up an account with a free photo-hosting service and use the "Insert" [ IMG ] function. This will give you the most flexibility in displaying your photos without limitations.

If you only wish to occasionally post a photo from your computer, you may find the "Attach" function to be more convenient for you.

How to "Attach" a Photo

IF your photo file is smaller than 128 KB, and IF your photo file is located on your computer hard drive, and IF you want your photo file to appear at the end of your post, then you are a good candidate for the "Attach" function.

Note that guests are not allowed to use the "Attach" function. You must be logged in as a member in order to see the options illustrated below.

A. When entering a post, click on "Additional Options..." located beneath the text entry box.

B. Click on the "Choose File" button, and navigate to the location where your photo file is located. Highlight the file name and click "Choose".

C. If you want to add additional photos, click on "(more attachments)" to create another "Choose File" button. You can add up to three attachments, but remember, the total size of all three attachments combined cannot be greater than 192 MB. If your attachments are too big, you will have to reduce them by following the procedures below.

D. When you have finished with your message, you can click on "Spell Check" to check your spelling, "Preview" to see how your post will look, or "Post" to submit your message to the Forum.

E. If you make a mistake and want to correct it after you have posted your message, click on the "Modify" button, make your changes, and click on "Save". If you modify your own message within the first five minutes after posting, it will not display the "Last Edit by..." notification at the bottom of your message.

F. If you mistakenly attached the same picture twice in a row, click on the "Modify" button, and then click on "Additional Options..." located beneath the text entry box. You will then see the two duplicate attachments. You can delete one of them and click "Save" to correct your mistake.

How to "Insert" a Photo

If you have your photos hosted elsewhere on the Internet, you will probably want to use the "Insert" [ IMG ] command, as this will allow you the most flexibility in displaying your photos.

A. You must first find the URL for the photo you wish to insert. In photobucket.com, this is an automatic function by clicking on the [ IMG ] command beneath your photo. Elsewhere, you can find the URL of any photo on the web by right-clicking on an image and choosing "Properties". In the properties information box, you can highlight the entire URL (from the http... all the way to the ...jpg at the end) and right-click to copy the URL so you won't have to type it out.

B. Then you can click on the "Insert Image" button, which is the second button on the second row, right above the line of smileys.

C. This will create a pair of [ IMG ] commands, with the cursor position placed in between them. Right-click and choose "Paste" to insert the copied URL of your image between the [ IMG ] tags.

D. You may now use the "Preview" function to see what your post looks like with the photo in place. If there is a problem, you can correct it before posting your submission.

E. When inserting photos, they do not have to be at the end of your post. I have used the insert photo function on this post in order to display the pictures where I want them within the text.

You can also highlight the code for the photo and click on the "Centered" text button as I did with the image above. This image was created with this line of code:
    Or you can highlight the code for the photo and click on the "Right Aligned" button, as in this example. This line of code looks like this:
    Or, you can even place your photos [​IMG] directly in your text, wherever you want.

How to Reduce the Size of a Photo

One of the biggest problems people seem to have is with the size of the photos and the size of the files. With most newer digital cameras making pictures in the 3, 4, 5, or 6 megapixel range, these images are much larger than what is necessary for posting on the web, so these photos MUST be modified first. It's great to have a fancy photo-editing program, but fortunately, you can even use the lowly "Paint" program that's on everybody's computer to reduce the size of photos. This, however, is another subject worthy of its own topic, so go here for a tutorial which explains how to do this: Tutorial: How to Reduce a Photo for the Web
  2. marten

marten BowBender

Ken, I went through the steps with photobuck.com with my pictures, but I still cannot get the pics on my post from photobuck.
    what am I doing WRONG or not doing.

3. Ken Edwards

Post a reply below this and try to include a photo from your photobucket account. If it doesn't work, I will tell you what the problem is.
  4. Yotecaller

Yotecaller New Member

5. Chester1977

Chester1977 New Member

6. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

7. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

8. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

I have a photobucket account and have posted only one other time to the site with pictures. I have resized the picture I want to place on the Fish of the Week through the photobucket editing field. I also have read the tutorial through on posting pictures. I can post text but everytime I attempt the post with a picture I hit the "post" button and nothing happens. I have tried both the "attach" and "insert" method. Neither way will allow a post with a picture attachment. My pictures are jpeg format. Do you have any ideas of what I may be doing wrong, or any ideas of what I may try to do further. Thanks in advance.................Bill
  9. Ken Edwards

Let's do a test. Try to paste a Photobucket image tag in a reply to this message and I will try to see why it isn't working.
  10. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Ken, This was using the inserrt method. I'll try the attach method.

Edit by Ken: [​IMG]
  11. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

In the attach method, when I click to post, nothing happens.

Attempted X's 2 again. still no luck.
  12. Ken Edwards

Okay, I saw your problem. When using Photobucket and the insert method, you DO NOT have to also click on the IMG button.

From your Photobucket gallery, simply click on the IMG code (the fourth code below the photo you want to display). This copies the IMG code to your clipboard.

Next, go to the Taxidermy Net posing screen and type your response. When you get to where you want your photo to appear, right click your mouse and choose Paste. This will place the IMG tag in the message. You can then click the "Preview" button to see if the photo is displayed correctly.

There should only be one set of IMG tags surrounding the address of your photo. If there is more than one, edit it.
  13. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the help....Bill
  14. TonyW68901

TonyW68901 New Member

15. TonyW68901

TonyW68901 New Member

16. MomGoneHunting

MomGoneHunting New Member

this was very helpful ... thanks
  17. trying this out
  18. fishmedic