1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Methanol or denatured alcohol?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by feathercast, Aug 30, 2011.

1. feathercast

feathercast New Member

I checked on DA today to find it to be $15 a gallon! I can buy methanol which is used for race fuel, for $3 a gallon. Question is will it work, anybody use it?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Yes, methanol will work fine

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Yes, it does work and was widely used. Just like formalin. It is extremely toxic, attacking the retina of the eye. How do you get rid of your used pickle? Ever hear of what happens to people who drink "wood alcohol" (methanol) It ain't pretty!
    Don't do it to save a few bucks.

4. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

I'm with den007 on this. The health risks far outweigh the few dollars saved!! The fumes are far more toxic and you will have them in your face while mounting.

5. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

x3! I'd rather spend $12 extra than mess up my health.

6. feathercast

feathercast New Member

Thanks for the repies. I've been around methanol for years in racing & never had any issues. Guess I never thought of it being any worse than DA or most other chemical. I know it makes GREAT charcoal lighter fluid!! Just don't light it from above the grill.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Check around too. I know around here the big box stores are at $15-$16 bucks a gallon. But, our local mom and pop hardware store has their own brand of DA for $10.57 a gallon. Just keep in mind too that if you buy 2 gallons and put that and water into a 5 gallon bucket (leaving several inches for fish) that IF you clean your skins well before placing in the DA, the DA solution will last a LONG time. I've gone through probably 50 fish with my current batch of DA and it stills smells like alcohol. I'll probably push another 50 fish through it before I'll need to change it. If you look at it from that perspective, even at $25 bucks or so for a batch seems pretty darn cheap. Cheaper than $6 bucks and DEATH! lol!

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I hope that none of you drink beer or any other "adult beverages"!

I have a good friend, who's an environmental chemist. When I asked him about the hazards of the stuff we commonly use in the shop, he laughed. The amount (volume) of the chemicals is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Even if you are using "true" Denatured Alcohol, that is Ethanol that's been denatured with Methanol, you are still dealing with an organic alcohol. Just considering it's use a fish "preservative" you still should be taking your fish skin from the alcohol to a borax(or some other) rehydration solution before mounting. In doing that you are reducing the amount of alcohol to nearly nothing. You will actually "suffer" a greater exposure by spilling a beer on yourself!

If you're strictly a "fish guy" and deal with a Methanol/water bath on an everyday basis, the use of rubber gloves will virtually eliminate ALL your exposure. That, along with keeping your alcohol well sealed and the rehydration bath, almost completely eliminates your direct contact with the alcohol. Unlike using Coleman fuel(or other solvent) as a degreaser, alcohol readily combines with water, reducing your direct exposure. Didn't anyone have ANY High School or College Chemistry?

I put my fish skins(cleaned and washed) directly into the full strength alcohol. It makes them "very" stiff. I rehydrate for mounting in a Borax solution, usually over night and then mount them. When the alcohol bath stops stiffening the skins I replace it, because it's a desiccant(it sucks the water out of the skin) it dilutes itself. The cleaner and dryer you keep the skins that go into it will increase it's usefull life. Handling that rehydrated "alcohol soaked" skin will supply your body with less alcohol than a couple sips of beer. Remember that, when you're handling a solvent degreased bird skin! LOL

9. den007

den007 Active Member

Old Fart............I know we all take risks and precautions in what we work with. BUT.....I did teach HS Chemistry, and there is a decided difference between Methanol and Ethanol.
    Denaturing agents are added to ethanol so folks won't drink it. It is not always methanol added as a denaturant. It can be a number of unpleasant chemicals.

All alcohols are considered "organic"compounds since they are based on carbon chain molecules with an OH group attached. Methanol has one carbon atom, 3 Hydrogen atoms attached and an OH group. Ethanol is a 2 carbon chain. Their chemical properties are radically different.

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm impressed Den........or is it "Den Nye the Science Guy".. ;D........what's the atomic composition of macromolecules for that chicken jerky for dogs...LOL

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Brian, did you read that article in UP Magazine? I had fun doing it. Actualluy, the chicken they use is very bland and chewy. If you rehydrate it and sprinkle with your favorite jerky seasoning and tenderizer.....smack it around with a tenderizing hammer........it is great. Especially smoked.Darned stuff is almost as expensive as regular beef jerky though.

Writing some more fun, philosophical stuff for On Wisconsin Outdoors these days. Check out the current issue. You might enjoy.

12. Brian W

Denny, where you been? I had a new post recently on this already asking if that was you..... :D... No response. Hell yes,I read the article. Here's the pics I posted before......

Attached Files:

13. Brian W

Couple more pics and can we get a collective LMAO here people....... ;D

Attached Files:

14. den007

den007 Active Member

Yes Brian................I confess, that is me! Too much time on my hands? Hey, you gotta love UP Magazine. I LMAO every time I read it. Very creative folks there. But then, all Yoopers are!

15. Brian W

Ha.....I thought when I first posted it, you were purposely avoiding the response, so I let it go. Sons and I up in UP around Wetmore Mi fishing for a week. We would frequent the "Forest Glen" store for supplies and my son picked up the copy (probably because of the cover... ;D) and then I saw it on the cabin table and had to flip through it (ahhh, probably because of the cover....lol).
    When I got to the article, briefed it while lmao, and said to myself: "I KNOW that Guy" and then I thought "I know THAT Guy?... ;D"..........My sons said: Is THAT your friend?......I said: "Hell no, that guys a freak"......(kiddin). I told them, its a guy I've come to know and do some business with from the Taxi-net.......they told me to buy you some food..... ;D

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Couple of 50 pound bags of Gravy Train will get through winter.