1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt prices

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by michael p., Aug 31, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Everybody's always asking about salt prices well here you go $16.00 for 160 pounds....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So your a farm now,, tax exempt?

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

That's an outragous price. Check on buying a full pallet from a bigger supplier even if you have to drive some or have it truck shipped.

4. michael p.

Jim I really do not use enough salt to justify the fuel. I may use 1600 pounds a year.

Paul, it's for business use, I'm exempt....the ag is just the code they use.

5. James Marsico

Spoken like a true taxidermist; now lower your prices to take in even more work so you can justify spending less on salt. :)

6. michael p.

No James, a true Taxidermist would drive the 60 miles to Austin to buy it cheaper and spend more on fuel than he saved in salt but still rationalize it.

7. James Marsico

60 miles is nothing when you live in Wyoming, I thought Texas was like that also. Think truck load and long term. Maybe even consider joining forces with another or a few other taxidermists in your area to make bulk shipment buys for the salt and wood for crating materials, etc. while your at it. I was being sarcastic of course but in reality there are ways to think outside the box so to say and save money which is equal to making money. Most of the full time taxidermists in Wyoming and Montana buy in bulk, are members of a taxidermy buying group and even join forces on some projects and also have most of thier own clients reside in other states. It might be a mind set thing. My very best client lives in Fort Worth; second best in California, etc. Didn't you just get back from a project like I am talking with a taxidermist with a great mind set? Things to consider anyway.

8. shoot, salt here cost me $8.25 per 50 pounds.
    Ive looked to try and find it cheaper with no luck, some places its higher.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There is no sales tax on feed and fertilizer in many states. If Wal-Mart charges sales tax on fertilizer, that's just money in their pocket they don't turn into the state! I see michaelp has $84 in cash in his pocket...hope the gangs in LaGrange aren't reading this thread, LOL!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I was just teasing MP, our tractor supply store ask us if the purchase is for farm purposes, no tax if you give them your farm tax id number here in Mich. No farm, then you pay tax.

11. Same here in MN. You need the farm tax ID number. Good thing I have a farm!

12. michael p.

I mix the used salt into the cow feed (cough, cough, snicker, snicker :) )

13. Maybe I should start selling salt to you guy's I pay $4.60 a bag for the same salt MP has in his truck ;D

14. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

ya'all know that since Michael lives in LaGrange, he has to go to the chicken ranch once in a while and d"feed" them too. LMAO

O Lord LaGrange.

kirby

15. I get mine for free. I just go to McDonalds and grab all the salt packages. It adds up!

Bruce

16. $ 4 per 50 lbs. her in Wis. everything is bigger and more expensive in Texas! LOL

17. Ha Ha... And I thought I was cheap.