1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pressure

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dozier, Sep 3, 2011.

1. dozier

dozier New Member

I have a hard time believing increased atmosferic pressure does not accelerate absorbtion . and as far a vaccum goes , tell me you cant marinate a steak faster vaccume sealed ? So any seasoned auto tanner users quit pressuring their auto tanners and just let them turn now . If you did , see any difference ? Or is the auto tanner still an accet to tanning like it has been ?

2. DRW

DRW New Member

see if this helps any ;)

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,164599.0.html

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Steve himself . The maker of the auto tanner. Has come out and said. He was wrong . His new machine uses no pressure . Now I just use 20 lbs. or so . Just enough to seal the door.

4. dozier

dozier New Member

Thank's guy's .

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

This is interesting. So instead of investing a bunch of money in the "Auto Tanner", I could really use any container that could get a good seal and build a stand that can turn it slow? Do you think a plastic barrel would work with whatever chemicals the auto tanner uses? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that worked for them?

Thanks for any advice.

Vic

6. dozier

dozier New Member

The quick time frame comes from using alum not pressure . You can wet drum with a pickle till plump , neutralize , flesh and then wet drum tan of your choice . It cuts a few hours but the drumming during the tan really gets a thorough tan , rather than just sitting in it , it's constantly rolling the cape and tan together . Then oil and you'll have a real tanned cape that will have plenty of stretch and wont shrink up on you.

7. Vic, yes is your answer, like Dozier said the movement is what helps.

8. i have been using pressure tanner for 10 years and have found out it does better without pressure. the skins dont tangle up and still get same result. just ordered new tanner from steve and will start using it. agitation is the key.

9. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    Hey Lostpines,

How long do you leave a deer sized cape in the auto-tanner without pressure?

10. Wegner

Wegner New Member

In the vacuum tanner it takes two hours guaranteed. I have two of them ready to go. 608-868-4022

11. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I still do about 2 hours then do the final fleshing. Then leave them in till I'm ready for them. Usually the next morning. Or till the 2 days if needed. But 2 hours will work.