1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail eyes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerslayer584, Sep 3, 2011.

1. deerslayer584

deerslayer584 New Member

has anyone used the rubber eyesets i cant seem to get the clay right so i thought i would try those when i use clay they never look right

2. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

Re: whitetail eyes

Garbage can! Learn to clay it in.

3. deerslayer584

deerslayer584 New Member

they don't look like they would set right they are very spongy

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Never? Out of how many times have you tried? 100? 200? 300? Claying an eye is not that hard, it is like lerning anything new, it takes practice, and watching someone teach you once or twice too.

5. Agree with Mr. T. Everything takes practice. Just started using a fleshing machine for the first time. I cut a few holes in the brisket, and my thumb, but by the end of the first cape, I was doing pretty good. I had to keep telling myself, practice makes perfect.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Perfect practice,,, makes perfect. ;) ;D

7. daee490

daee490 New Member

The rubber eye sets are not a good option. One thing you can try is when mounting the skin, put a pencil size roll of clay under the upper eyelid, and one half that size under the lower lid. You can make some fine adjustments after the skin is on until the eyes look right, then pin. Read up or get some video's too.

8. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

Go to http://mckenzietaxidermy.com/, click on the How-To's on the bottom and then click on meder eye tutorial....It shows you everything you need to know and it only takes a few minutes.

save your money on the rubber eyesets. Clay is much cheaper and better, in my opinion.