1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trash Disposal Question...??

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by TROPHeTRACKER, Sep 4, 2011.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

How many 100+ degree days in Texas this year??? LOL! Nasty!!!!

2. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Freeze till garbage day and also cut some peices off for beetles during the winter months.

3. [email protected]
    The trouble is that someone will bring a Cow in (The WHOLE Cow) For us to pull a skeleton from... Most often on a weekend, (our dump is only open Tues thru Friday) What the Heck am I gonna do with 1000 pounds of cow? Or Cougar Carcasses... 4 or 5 at a time? Why should I tie up a chest freezer or three that I could have active inventory in with garbage? Especially since me and the dump don't care if its gone a little off by the time it gets there.

FORTUNATELY we live on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere... So the smells (and yes the Buzzards) don't bother us or anyone else. And we can wait 2 or 3 days till we get to the dump.. I keep looking at a walkin cooler... But cost wise... I don't see it paying for itself... Especially with the lack of pickups lately..

Funny Thing about the Buzzards... (Turkey Vultures actually) is we live on a "Birding Trail" listed in some Birdwatchers Guide book. And there is always a car or two stopping now and again to check them out. But we've never actually seen them on the tubs..

4. FishArt

PLT, didn't realize I was commenting on a tannery psoter! Yes, things are a bit different for you I'm sure!!!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It only "stinks" if you let it set and grow maggots before you take care of it like you should done have just after skinning. Bag and freeze it, set it out on garbage day. Do it just like the State wants you to, and there will be no problems.

PLT, cut the head off the cow and send the rest home with the customer.

6. we dont have 100 degree weather during deer season, and thats the only time we have alot
    and i can see if you only do fish, you dont understand, but in this business if your queezy or cant deal with nasty, your in the wrong business

7. FishArt

If it's not below 32 it's still going to eventually stink. And WAY worse than the initial stink! And, it's not a matter of being queasy or not being able to deal with the smells. It's just a matter of being proactive and planning ahead. Assuming you have the space. IF I have the choice of planning ahead and NOT sticking my nose in a pile of crap OR not planning ahead and sticking my nose in a pile of crap, which choice would YOU choose??? LOL!

8. yeah well fish art, i know what you mean, so you tell me how you take in 10 to 20 deer heads a day in the fall and get around it? lol, the trash is picked up every tuesday and thursday here, by friday most are goin to the lease, so the longest anything would be in the trash is 2 or 3 days, maybe by the third day itl smell, but then its gone, tell me whats your plan for that?
    if all i did was fish im sure i would have the room to freeze my skin mounts, but im sure youl agree thats not the case with most on here

9. davehyer

davehyer New Member

There is no way i could bag and freeze it, I sometimes have enough to fill a freezer in a couple days. My garbage collection comany has 100 gallon cans with wheels that they give you to use. Their truck pulls up, grabs them and dumps them in the truck. People never handle the cans. I had a a couple so full that the truck didn't have enough balls to pick them up. If it gets really nasty i will put som elime in on top of what I put in, but for the most part it isn't a problem at all.

I don't live in close proximity to anyone so if it smells it is out back away from my house and anyone elses.

10. FishArt

Steve, I think we're throwing all sorts of options out there because everybody's business, location, disposal options and volume is different. You're right - IF I had to skin out and dispose of that many animals in a day taking the time or finding space to refreeze things would not be feasible. Especially since the skin itself probably goes back into the freezer? If it was below 32 degrees or close I wouldn't worry about it. To the can it would go and does go. If it were warmer I probably would increase my service pickup during deer season. But, for the hobbiest, fish guy or non-regular volume times (outside of deer season) for the full service shops. Or for those that don't want to pay for multiple garbage pick-ups freezing is a simple option for some. Yes, fish are smaller and the skins don't go back into the freezer once skinned out. Plus, I can't skin more than 2 or 3 fish in a day. . But, I just take the garbage bag the guts are already in and knot it up and to the freezer it goes. It takes up smaller space than when the whole fish was in there so there's plenty of room. And, it takes me no time to do it. The only problem is remembering to pull it from the freezer to the can for trash day - lol! I see your point though. I wasn't thinking through all situations...

11. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

We through all our in a pit fire smoke out barbuque and by the time everyone is in tune they dont' know the difference.