1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to skin a large bird wing?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ravenswings1, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    I have searched in the archives but have found little information or it doesn't make sense to me how to do it :-\

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

my suggestion would be to purchase a video on bird skinning, from one of the suppliers.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

i just cur from the elbow joint right to the tip (thumb joint) between feather tracks so you dont cut or ruin any feathers and when you sew together you wont see the stiches.

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

i learned that from the goose video from research by stefan savides

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I used to do turkeys that way,,and I'm not saying it's wrong but for me to assure a cleaner skin on the wing I skin like a tube sock all the way to digit and a little beyond to get all the areas exsposed where muscle and fat pockets are hiding. Especially the quill ends and digit area underneathe the ''wrist area''.

6. jlf

jlf New Member

Same for me, less sewing that way along with cleaner skin and feathers ;)

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I usually invert large wings all of the way to the wrist and slightly beyond, but once in a while I will leave the secondaries atttached to the bone and make a wing incision. (Large cranes, eagles, pelicans, etc.)

When I do this I often make the incision on the top surface of the wing rather than underneath - especially if the bird is to be mounted flying. The reason is that the feathers under the wing are extremely fragile and they can be very difficult to get back to their original degree of smoothness if they have ever been touched by even the slightest bit of tissue fluid. The coverts on the top of the wing are much sturdier and more forgiving, plus they are usually denser and more willing to hide a seam.