1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anchors for masonry/stone

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bobbym1232, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I am going to hang a bunch of mounts for a customer this weekend and he is going to want some of the bigger stuff hung on fireplace. What kind of anchor would be best for hanging a moose and elk into stone? The only thing I know is the type that swell out when you tighten screw down. Will this hold a 100lb+ of weight?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Go to the local hardware and get some TapCon screws(they are blue) and the proper masonry bit for the size you choose. They come in different diameters and lengths.

3. wildstuff

wildstuff First Brown Bear

Ohio
    Go to the local hardware and get some TapCon screws(they are blue) and the proper masonry bit for the size you choose. They come in different diameters and lengths.

X 2 - with the proper hanger tap cons can easily hold a moose.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

its also good to set those screws with some 5 min. epoxy just for some extra bond

5. I would not use the blue tapcons for something hanging. They are good for anchoring, but IMO not load bearing unless you are using multiples with a bracket. Use the LDT (large diameter Tapcons) and probably 3-4" or longer, or similar made by redhead. And yes, use an apoxy of some sort. Unfortunately, your bit for such a job won't be cheap. If the masonry is brittle, don't use the hammer drill feature..............if it still crumbles, I would decline the job, or have a third party insure the job. JMO

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree on the brittle mortar, if it is, I would look into it further. As far as the Tapcons, they are what I would use on a good sound masonary wall.

7. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    I would also go with the Tapcons. Here is a link to their FAQ's which could help with your decision: http://www.concretescrews.com/tapcon-questions.aspx