1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Great job, noob.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Head Hunting Iowan, Sep 7, 2011.

1. So my buddy didnt wanna pay me to do his deer skull and tried it himself. It didnt turn out too bad except one thing, the antlers. They've got a block mold embedded in them. He tried staining over it but that made it look worse. I'd try crud cutter but I'm afraid the stain may have sealed the mold in. The only thing I can think of that might work is dunking the antlers in peroxide for a day, but I dont know what effect the stain would have in it. Any advice? I think I'm gonna try crud cutter first anyways and hope it works!

2. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

I've had people approach our table at gun shows saying why pay when they can just boil it then add some bleach. I try talking most out of it, citing the damage. Usually this works quite well and once they realize there is an actual process to it to keep the preserved not just white I win a customer. The rest I just chuckle and think of George's "you can't fix stupid"

From past experience I know peroxide will whiten antlers just as much be curious who this turns out. Post pics?

3. same here, had one friend point out some that he did, all they needed was boiled according to him. I pointed out the fact they were the color of butter while I was there

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Maybe have your buddy try the crud cutter and then the peroxide? That way he learns and doesn't blame you. There is a product (2 part spray) that I used in the house here for the black mold on walls. Dead, gone and hasn't come back. I have no idea what it would do to antler though. At least you could restain them. Bought it at the hardware store and the mold has not returned to any sprayed area.
    http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/mold-control-500/about.html

5. Thanks guys, I'll try the liquid gold if all else fails.

6. Scott's Liquid Gold Mold Control 500 should not harm the antlers, but it will whiten them. According to the MSDS, part A contains a mixture of cationic detergents and fatty alcohols. Part B contains 8% hydrogen peroxide.

7. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

What about acrylic paint and paint over the mold areas. Stain is transparent, paint is not. You won't have paint the whole antler, just blend the paint in with the antler color in the needed areas.