1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1968 Black Bear rug Remount?????

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by charleyd, Sep 7, 2011.

1. charleyd

charleyd New Member

I had a customer bring in a Black Bear rug that was done in 1968. His Grandfather shot it in 1968 and it was the third largest bear on record in WI. I am concerned that if I try and rehydrate it that I might reactivate acids in the original tan that could damage the hide. My gut is telling me to turn it away but if it can be done I would like to give it a try. Any suggestions or things I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. charleyd

charleyd New Member

Attached Files:

3. charleyd

charleyd New Member

Attached Files:

4. charleyd

charleyd New Member

Attached Files:

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I did a repair on a 70+ year old grizzly this year that was in a similar condition, missing claws, broken mouth and lips and nose. I rebuilt what I could and only rehydrated small areas where I needed to. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you could do most of it without rehydrating except around the eyes. Everything else--including the nose--you should be able to rubuild with apoxy sculpt. It looks like yours is in worse shape in some places, but isn't missing any hair like mine was. I can't tell from the picture if the muzzle is shrunken and messed up or if it's just wrinkled. The nose and gums should be an easy fix.

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i agree with boarhunter, should not really be a big deal to get it to look new