1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone ever used Old English on preserving a bird beak on a skull?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ravenswings1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Has anyone ever used Old English (wood oil) to preserve the beak on a skull? I want to use something that is easy to get ahold of, but not permanent like lacquers, ect. And more natural. Any suggestions?

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

You do not have to put anything on the beaks if you want them natural, I have quite a few bird skulls some that are over thirty years old, and I did absolutely nothing or put anything on them, and they still look like the day I got them.

3. jlf

jlf New Member

Only if its a "wood" duck bill ;) ;D

4. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Yeah thanks, I know they never stay exactly as when the animal was alive, but I think once they have been cleaned and whatever pigment is left seems like it should stay stable as long as it is taken care of, meaning in a dry clean place.

5. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    ??????? Don't understand :)

I get it now :)

6. daniel

daniel New Member

ok

7. jlf

jlf New Member

Old English wood oil is designed for wood hence the joke about it only working on a "wood" duck bill. :D

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Organic pigments are not known for being very stable over long periods of time, which is why museums keep their most valuable specimens protected from light, and sometimes even from oxygen.
    I don't know about using wood finish as a preservative. If you are just keeping the skulls as curiosities or doing them as experiments I suppose it would be worth a try, but I would want something with better known credentials if I were intending to preserve a skull for scientific purposes.

9. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Nancy, thanks for your input

10. snowhare

snowhare New Member

UE GUNN OIL