1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mongoose and chamelion skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by cattledog, Sep 8, 2011.

1. was wondering if anybody has any of these in their skull collections,would love to see a picture of each finished.three horned chamelion and the small asian mongoose,also called indian mongoose.do the chamelion skulls clean up well?was offered a few of each of these and dont know anything about them.thanks

2. bmxkid313

bmxkid313 New Member

as for the chameleon, i have seen a lot of pics on here of people collections that have them do a search and i bet you'll find a lot of them. the 3 horned are very cool looking and i would think they clean up just like any reptile.

3. thanks for the reply.ill look around,see if i can find anything.Ross

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have done several lizards/reptiles but not a chameleon. *IF* you attempt one, take pictures of it before you start and during the process. It will fall apart on you into a lot of pieces and you will need to know where those pieces all go to put it back together properly. Try not to shake it around a lot while you are macerating and degreasing. The less you move it around the better.

5. thanks Sea wolf,if i got it i was actually thinking about getting it beetle cleaned,wouldnt that be alot safer way to do one of them?
    thought maybe it would stay intact that way?thanks again

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Beetles would be. But you still have to degrease it. If you use beetles, try acetone first. It will not soften or loosen the bones.

7. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Huh, haven't had to do anything that delicate yet, but I didn't know that. Glad I came apon this.

8. Mongoose skulls are neat. They look a lot different than mink or ermine or ferret skulls, but a lot of people would think they look the same. :)

Chameleons skulls are cool too, every single one is very individual, because of the bumps and horns on their heads. Very neat, I have a bunch of baby ones in the freeze.